PC won't boot w/ gtx670 installed

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I finally built my computer and am having two problems:

1) my BIOS reads the two drives, the 128gb SSD and the 2tb HDD. I followed the directions in my mobo manual to set up a RAID in BIOS, but it didn't work, all it did was try to make my empty HDD the first boot, make the ODD the second boot, and the SSD didn't appear at all. I undid what it said and was able to get back to how I was, booting from the SSD in which I have win7 installed. *****FIXED*****

2) my PC won't display anything if I try to boot with the gtx 670. I had it set to boot with integrated graphics but since I've updated my BIOS from F4 to F14, it won't even do that. I have to completely remove the gtx 670 to get it to boot to a monitor from the vga cable. I would think the video card is dead, but when I had it installed and the PC booting off of integrated graphics, the EVGA disc detected the card and installed the drivers. when I had the video card out, it refused to let me install the drivers from the disc.

mobo: gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h
vga: evga gtx 670
cpu: i5-3570k

the power supply, odd, hdd, ssd, aftermarket heatsink, case, etc. all seem to work and be plugged in properly, I have quadruple checked by now and even had a friend look it over.

Solution
Dont RAID a HDD and an SSD, the Hard Drive will drag the SSD's performance down. And the SSD will limit your total storage capacity to 256GB (that's RAID 0, if you are doing RAID 1 you will only have 128GB).
Only do RAID across identical drives.

Try running the system breadboarded, so outside the case on a non-conductive surface (the mobo box or a wooden table is enough). That will eliminate the possibility the card is shorting to the case somehow.
Dont RAID a HDD and an SSD, the Hard Drive will drag the SSD's performance down. And the SSD will limit your total storage capacity to 256GB (that's RAID 0, if you are doing RAID 1 you will only have 128GB).
Only do RAID across identical drives.

Try running the system breadboarded, so outside the case on a non-conductive surface (the mobo box or a wooden table is enough). That will eliminate the possibility the card is shorting to the case somehow.

Solution

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
had to reinstall windows 7 to fix the hdd's and had to use integrated graphics to get the drivers installed then connect the monitor directly into the vga, for some reason my io shield won't connect to hdmi or vga when plugged in if the 670 is in, thus both problems are fixed