double psu's

G

As I am building a server with two P III CPU's, with many HD's I need at least
an ATX PSU of 400 W , I have many high quality PSU's of 235 w , can I connect 2 PSU's in parallel ,with one ATX conector to the motherboard ???.
has anyone done it ?
can it work like this , without trouble ?.
thanks in advance.

G

I have been building Server's for Compaq and I am studying for exames on comptia's A+, Server+, and I donot think thats a good idea at all, you should get the right type of supply! if you are spending money on a server you want it to be dependable and not have problems cause by going inexpensive on the powersupply.

G

actually , you can under certain conditions that are not met in your case. The main condition is that your motherboard and IDE drive must be on the same psu, so a good 300 watt is required in your case. The condition where you can put 2 psu together is when a device (SCSI disk, peltier cooling, fans, external devices that can be powered by an external power supply.) This is not the case for IDE disk. Personally i run a dual p3 1Ghz with 2 gig of RAM, CDwriter, DVD reader, lots of PCI card and 4 IDE disk on a 350Watt power supply and it is ok.

G

I am curently running lot of stuff of a Enermax 550W
Work very good.
Don|t try to connect two PSU's together, unless they come specialy as redundent PSU system.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't think it's a good idea to have two PSUs. NEVER be cheap when it comes to PSUs. Just get a 550W Enermax PSU!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor