Dual Band Questions! Need Advice!

kpms0n

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hi. I had just purchased a new laptop and I thought to myself, "I might as well change the router as well!" so now I am looking into a new router. For the last few years, my dad has been downloading through P2P CONSTANTLY and has a dedicated computer for it that hogs all the bandwidth preventing me from doing whatever i was doing. :fou: That is the only computer that is physically wired to the router so I can understand how it saps all internet. Upon my search for a new router, i had to take into consideration that there are a total of 3 laptops, one desktop (only one that's physcally wired), and a couple cell phones (sometimes) that are connected to the router. I noticed that there are "simultaneous" dual band routers and had done some research on it but i'm still very confused about it. :??: Looking for some clarification on some issues so that i know whether a dual band or a single band would be best as well as set up help. On to the questions!

The conditions: In-going data speed from cable modem to router is 10Mbs. 1 new laptop (801.11b/g/n) and 2 old laptops (801.11b/g only) and a desktop (wired). Dual-band (simultaneous) router.

1. Lets say we dont hook up the desktop and only the 3 laptops would be connected (wireless). 1 laptop will be on 5 Ghz and 2 will be on 2.4 Ghz band respectively. Would the in-going data speed be split between the two (5Mbs on 2.4Ghz and 5Mbs on 5Ghz) or will it be full on both sides (10Mbs on 2.4 and 10Mbs on 5)?

2. Now lets say we hook up the desktop as well with the other 3 laptops. What would be the data speed distribution? If the wired desktop starts hogging the internet, will it steal internet from both the 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless bands or will it be split evenly between the 2 bands and wired?

3. Is there a way to restrict the bandwidth usage on the desktop so that gaming/video streaming/etc is still do-able on the laptops?

4. I read about 20 Mhz and 40 Mhz for the 2 bands and still can't understand what it really means. Does that refer to just the 5 Ghz band or does it apply to 2.4 Ghz as well?

5. Any recommendations for a dual band simultaneous router? So far the Linksys E3000 seems to be a reasonable choice. Budget is $150 max.

6. Any way to tell if my laptop will be 20/40 Mhz capable? Still didn't get my laptop yet :na:

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Don't know about the whole splitting signal thing personally. By my 2 cents is your connection speed is your connection speed. With that many devices using it, one of which from your post is constantly downloading, nothing you do short of getting a faster connection will solve the issue.

You may be able to set restrictions for the download speed of the PC though which would help the speeds of everything else. Usually that is handled by whatever client you dad is using to download stuff with. Which by the way i probably would have reworded in a public forum seeing that downloading movies is illegal.

If it's just a case of one app/user hogging all the bandwidth (and even if you added more bandwidth on your internet connection, it wouldn't help, dad would suck up all of that as well), then you need a router w/ QoS (Quality of Service) features. Then you could do some throttling and prioritizing of traffic. IOW, you need a smarter router, not necessarily faster.

kpms0n

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Updated my OP. Thx for the suggestion steimy :)

I kinda figured the wired comp would jack it all anyway :??: but yeah. The reason I want to get a new router is mainly so i can be unaffected by other laptops on the 2.4 ghz band since my laptop will be the only one capable of 5 ghz. Also, I am trying to find one with good QoS as well as simultaneous dual band. Not sure if all of those type of router will have QoS built into it already but looks like my search still continues. Thanks for the info!