Sign in with
Your question

Visiontek Radeon HD 7970 freeze, black screen & fan max out!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2012 2:27:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my new Visiontek Radeon HD 7970.
Sometimes it makes my computer freeze, the screen goes black and the fan kicking in almost like jet engine sound.
This happens randomly and when it happened I had to turn off pc manually because it never went back to normal.
I thought it's only when I'm gaming but lately it happens even when I'm just browsing internet.
This happens even when I only overclock mildly using CCC 12.7 beta (core 1100, mem 1525, stock voltage 1112 mv)

My newly built pc spec is:
cpu: i5-3570k
mobo: ASRock z77 extreme4
ram: Samsung DDR3-1600 low voltage 2x4GB
psu: Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W
cpu cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro
case: Corsair Obsidian 550D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Does anybody know what's wrong?
Is my card defective? Or is there something wrong with my setup?
I've tried to clean install the Windows and eliminate MSI Afterburner and Trixx.
So I'm only installing CCC 12.7 beta but the problem is still there.

Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 2:58:49 AM

Does it do that with stock clocks?
m
l
August 14, 2012 7:13:27 AM

fb39ca4 said:
Does it do that with stock clocks?

I am not sure but after thinking of it, it's almost for sure always happen when I overclock.
Maybe I should try to leave it a stock for a while.
Does this happen to you too?
Do you know the solution?
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2012 7:37:38 AM

Look like it use reference board and cooler. might reach max. temperature limit and safety feature kick in. Monitor max. temp. with msi afterburner.
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:32:47 AM

we_san said:
Look like it use reference board and cooler. might reach max. temperature limit and safety feature kick in. Monitor max. temp. with msi afterburner.

I can understand your suggestion if it happens only when playing game. Unfortunately, it happens even when I'm just browsing internet using Firefox. Wouldn't it be unacceptable if the temp goes max just for browsing?
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:42:26 AM

UPDATE:

PROBLEM IS SOLVED!
I decided to contact Visiontek Tech Support and after explaining the problem, the tech support suggested me to RMA the card and get a new replacement.
Tiger Direct is very helpful and they quickly exchanged my card with a new one and they even gave me free 2 days air shipping.

After I received the card, I replaced the old one without removing the already installed CCC 12.7 beta to see if it's software or hardware problem.
Until now, I never got the same freezing screen nor the screen going blank and fan max out.
So I can safely assume that it's the hardware problem. Maybe Visiontek tech support is aware about this because they didn't even ask me to try anything but to ask for RMA.
After a few days, I did system image restore to before CCC 12.7 beta and then install the new CCC 12.8. So far I've never had any problem yet.
I hope this will help anybody with the same issue.

m
l
!