Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build.. Noob to new gen tech. old school gamer here.

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 5, 2012 5:01:52 AM

Hey guys, I'd really appreciate an input.

I want to get back into the old gaming spirit and burn up some free time i have on my hands every now and again. And I need some help with the build etc. compatibility, bottlenecking, overkill. etc. etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: Lets just say for the US peeps. $2000USD .. More like $2500 here in Australia because everything costs more.. (Just for the tower)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games is the highest priority

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe.. I've got an idea of what I want which is: Benq XL2420T 24" LED Professional Gaming Monitor,1920x1080,120Hz ... Any suggestions are welcome

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: umart.com.au, msy.com.au, gamedude.com.au

Location: Brisbane, Australia

Parts Preferences: Intel and Nvidia .. Unless you can convince me otherwise

Overclocking: In the future (future proofing)

SLI or Crossfire: In the future (future proofing)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: A reasonably quiet PC.. But I understand with the bit of coin im gonna put into it that it'll be a bit loud.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Got the gamers itch back again.. Recently been promoted and work less but get more $$$ .. So im splurging a bit.

Oh God, I keep forgetting stuff -.- .. Here's what Iv'e got in mind for the build so far..

Intel Core i7 3930K Processor LGA2011 3.2GHz 12M Cache 6 Cores (no fan)
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Asus RAMPAGE IV FORMULA MB, Socket 2011, X79
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R Vengeance Performance Memory Module DDR3 1866MHz Unbuffered
Western Digital CaviarGreen 2TB 64MB SATA 3
Asus GTX 690 PCI-E 3.0 4GB 512-bit DDR5, Base:915 boost:1019/6008 MHz, DVI-I x 2, DVI-D x 1, Mi
LGE CH12LS28 12XBD/16DVDBlack Blue Ray HD Combo Retail
D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme NTM Wireless LAN PCI Express Adapter
NZXT PHANTOM Full Tower case w No PSU White
Corsair AX-850 ATX Power Supply


Regards,

Dimitrije
October 5, 2012 5:14:54 AM

manofchalk said:
Overkill on the processor, RAM, PSU and likely the GPU if you dont have a 120hz monitor or three.
Bottleneck in that slow green drive.

Fill out this form, itl help us recommend a good build for you.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgra...


Just did bud :)  . And you'll see I do have a 120Hz option for the monitor.. Also.. I don't just want a system that will suffice.. I want my build to be future proof.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 5, 2012 5:15:27 AM

Oh come on, after I typed all of that then you edited it. :(  Will post back soon, have stuff to do.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 5:17:45 AM

Btw, no such thing as future proof. :p 
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 5:21:32 AM

Nw333 said:
Btw, no such thing as future proof. :p 


Obviously.. But.. In other words, i'd like to keep from upgrading for as long as possible.. Put it that way :p 
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 5:22:37 AM

Nw333 said:
Oh come on, after I typed all of that then you edited it. :(  Will post back soon, have stuff to do.


My apologies !
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 5:42:47 AM

im the cpu is a bit of an over kill a 3770k will be fine at for the next 5 years as games dont utilize more than 4 cores and since the 3770k is a lga 1155 socket cpu u'll want a lga 1155 mobo for that i recomennd the GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3 Gaming Motherboard
.the 690 is over rated really it not that good for its price i would recomend getting a single hd 7970 ghz edition and then adding a a second card in for crossfire later on if it is needed
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 5:46:33 AM

A fellow Aussie, been a lot more of us on these forums recently. Good to see.
Thats a good monitor by the way.
Future proofing doesn't exist, or at least not over a large time-frame. All you can do is facilitate easy upgrading. And overkill =/= future proof, spending quadruple on a processor or graphics card does not mean it will last four times as long.
You are much better off building a machine that will do what you want now and upgrade it as it becomes insufficient, rather than spend a ton extra cash initially to try and get a longer life out of it. You will save money in the long and short run.

This rig will probably end up looking a lot like mine.
CPU: i5-3570k. $233
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
The gaming CPU to go for right now. Will overclock.

Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4. $139
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
Pretty good board that has most of the features of higher end boards. Will support dual Crossfire/SLI properly with dual PCI-3 8x slots.

RAM: G.Skill Ares 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz CL9 1.5v. $47
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
8GB of low profile DDR3 RAM. Not much to say about it.

PSU: Silverstone Strider 750W, 80+ Silver Fully Modular. $144
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
750W so you can go dual Crossfire/SLI without a PSU upgrade. Silverstone are a quality brand, aren't as well known as Corsair or Seasonic, but that's to your advantage here. They aren't being marked up in price because of their name.

GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X HD7950. $355
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

HDD: Seagate Barracuada 2TB 7200RPM. $105
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

SSD: Samsung 830 128GB. $102
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
Would have gone with an OCZ Vertex 4, but are out of stock. This will still perform pretty well.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14. $84
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
If you want to go water-cooling, the logical choice (in America) would be a Corsair H100. But that doesn't apply in Aus since the H100 is ~$160, which is only slightly less than a custom WC'ing kit. So I would advise going custom if you want to watercool, as the H series arent worth it.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Case: Depends on what you like the look of. The NZXT Phantom you picked before is pretty good.
NZXT Phantom White. $169
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

Total: $1378
Which leaves you plenty for that Benq monitor.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 6:03:58 AM

manofchalk said:
A fellow Aussie, been a lot more of us on these forums recently. Good to see.
Thats a good monitor by the way.
Future proofing doesn't exist, or at least not over a large time-frame. All you can do is facilitate easy upgrading. And overkill =/= future proof, spending quadruple on a processor or graphics card does not mean it will last four times as long.
You are much better off building a machine that will do what you want now and upgrade it as it becomes insufficient, rather than spend a ton extra cash initially to try and get a longer life out of it. You will save money in the long and short run.

This rig will probably end up looking a lot like mine.
CPU: i5-3570k. $233
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
The gaming CPU to go for right now. Will overclock.

Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4. $139
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
Pretty good board that has most of the features of higher end boards. Will support dual Crossfire/SLI properly with dual PCI-3 8x slots.

RAM: G.Skill Ares 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz CL9 1.5v. $47
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
8GB of low profile DDR3 RAM. Not much to say about it.

PSU: Silverstone Strider 750W, 80+ Silver Fully Modular. $144
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
750W so you can go dual Crossfire/SLI without a PSU upgrade. Silverstone are a quality brand, aren't as well known as Corsair or Seasonic, but that's to your advantage here. They aren't being marked up in price because of their name.

GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X HD7950. $355
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

HDD: Seagate Barracuada 2TB 7200RPM. $105
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

SSD: Samsung 830 128GB. $102
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
Would have gone with an OCZ Vertex 4, but are out of stock. This will still perform pretty well.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14. $84
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
If you want to go water-cooling, the logical choice (in America) would be a Corsair H100. But that doesn't apply in Aus since the H100 is ~$160, which is only slightly less than a custom WC'ing kit. So I would advise going custom if you want to watercool, as the H series arent worth it.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Case: Depends on what you like the look of. The NZXT Phantom you picked before is pretty good.
NZXT Phantom White. $169
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

Total: $1378
Which leaves you plenty for that Benq monitor.


Good to hear theres some of us on here :p  where abouts are you in aus?

Thanks HEEPS for the build you wrote up.. Definitely opens my eyes a bit.. I was running around aimlessly clicking expensive things that had the most reviews and stuff haha.. Now.. Before we go any further I want to note that im in love with metro 2033.. Played it when it first came out but had a shitty 'gaming' laptop and could never enjoyed it, nor did I finish it, and I hear its basically the most graphically demanding games on the market due to shotty optimization by the designers.. Put anyway.. Put simply.. I want smooth gameplay on max settings on that game.. Are the HD7950 3570K gonna cut it?
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 6:16:59 AM

Just outside Melbourne, but moved here from Brisbane originally.

Dont worry, its a common new builders mistake to think that more performance = more performance (confused yet?). That 3930k is about the 2nd fastest CPU you can get without going into server hardware, while the 3570k is a mid-range CPU. Both will perform similarly in games, quite simply because games do not require more grunt than the 3570k can provide. If you ran a number crunching application like Folding@Home, the 3930k will win hands down because it can use all that power. Its all about what you are using the machine for.

Metro 2033 isnt poorly coded or anything, it just destroys the VRAM and memory bus on any graphics card it comes across. Very video memory intensive game it is.
The HD7950 has 3GB of VRAM and a 384bit memory bus, which is more than you will find on competing Nvidia cards. AMD cards also have superior OpenCL performance, which Metro can utilize. Also helps that Metro 2033 is optimized for AMD cards and traditionally performs better on them.
The HD7950 is going to be plenty IMO, but you can always upgrade to a 7970 Ghz if you want.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5476/amd-radeon-7950-revi...
These results are with every setting turned to max, including Anti-Aliasing, which is a notorious FPS killer.

The 3570k is plenty for gaming. Only situation where it would bottleneck gaming is when you are running quad SLI/Crossfire.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 6:52:59 AM

I vote for the 7970 GHz edition. Only thing Id replace on manofchalks build. :D 
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 7:25:32 AM

Oh nice, Iv'e got alot of family in Melbourne, I'm of Serbian background.. Alot of them moved there and too sydney after the wars.. But that's a whole different story hahaha...

Thanks SOOO much bro.. You're a legend!

I will definitely SLI in the future.. That was the whole point of getting the GTX690 instead of the GTX670 SLI .. I already researched and found out that the 670GTX SLI is basically as good as a GTX690 and a few hundred dollars cheaper.. But I wanted the free slot for future upgrades.. And I didn't feel like forking out for a mobo with quad sli capatibility haha.. But if you guys are so hell bent on the AMD's.. I trust you guys ! haha, im seriously considering the 7970.. Iv'e always liked nvidia.. But at the price range im at... The AMD do seem to be better bang for buck..

If I do go for the 7970.. Is it worth going all out for the DirectCU II OC'd TOP series?? pretty big price jump..

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

OR.. The cheaper version.

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

Opinions please..

Regards,

Dimitrije
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 7:44:53 AM

Dimitrije said:
Oh nice, Iv'e got alot of family in Melbourne, I'm of Serbian background.. Alot of them moved there and too sydney after the wars.. But that's a whole different story hahaha...

Thanks SOOO much bro.. You're a legend!

I will definitely SLI in the future.. That was the whole point of getting the GTX690 instead of the GTX670 SLI .. I already researched and found out that the 670GTX SLI is basically as good as a GTX690 and a few hundred dollars cheaper.. But I wanted the free slot for future upgrades.. And I didn't feel like forking out for a mobo with quad sli capatibility haha.. But if you guys are so hell bent on the AMD's.. I trust you guys ! haha, im seriously considering the 7970.. Iv'e always liked nvidia.. But at the price range im at... The AMD do seem to be better bang for buck..

If I do go for the 7970.. Is it worth going all out for the DirectCU II OC'd TOP series?? pretty big price jump..

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

OR.. The cheaper version.

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

Opinions please..

Regards,

Dimitrije


As always, if you are looking into the higher end 7970s, consider the GTX 680s too! Solid cards that best the 7970s at stock and perform equally well when they are both overclocked.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 7:48:27 AM

^No, just no. They are similar, when it comes to performance, but when the monitors add up, the AMD cards win, especially with 3Gbs of vRAM. Although the 680 can be a choice, if the OP wants to.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 7:55:30 AM

Nw333 said:
^No, just no. They are similar, when it comes to performance, but when the monitors add up, the AMD cards win, especially with 3Gbs of vRAM. Although the 680 can be a choice, if the OP wants to.


While VRAM is definitely important with multiple monitors, a 3 monitor setup at maximum resolution/settings will typically require an SLI/Crossfire X of some sort to achieve good frame rates. Neither the 680 nor the 7970 Ghz cards can achieve consistently reliable frame rates above 30 FPS in those setups.

As long as the OP is not gaming on multiple monitors though, there really isn't anything wrong with considering the 680 like I suggested. Even if he is, it is still a very good card - and with recent discounts, makes it a much more competitive card when compared to Ghz edition 7970s.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 7:57:55 AM

Put it this way guys..

Ill be running off one 24'' 120hz monitor at 1920x1080

And I want to be able to play Metro 2033 on max without a problem.. I got the $$$ for it and am willing to SLI/crossfire .. Plus play the newer games coming out.. eg. FarCry3 , Metro: Last Light etc.

It's always better to have a cheaper option. But it doesn't really phase me.. I'm just so lost with all the options.. and naturally.. I just keep looking at the real expensive sh*t thinking that it's the best option.. Which this whole thread has proven to me isn't the case.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 8:00:49 AM

Dimitrije said:
Put it this way guys..

Ill be running off one 24'' 120hz monitor at 1920x1080

And I want to be able to play Metro 2033 on max without a problem.. I got the $$$ for it and am willing to SLI/crossfire .. Plus play the newer games coming out.. eg. FarCry3 , Metro: Last Light etc.

It's always better to have a cheaper option. But it doesn't really phase me.. I'm just so lost with all the options.. and naturally.. I just keep looking at the real expensive sh*t thinking that it's the best option.. Which this whole thread has proven to me isn't the case.


If you think that SLI/Crossfire X is a strong possibility in the future, then doing SLI with 670s or CFX with two 7970s is a very nice choice (as they are priced similarly at the moment). I suppose you could SLI with 680s, but at currrent prices, this would be equivalent to just buying a 690 - so not worth it at the moment.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 8:04:28 AM

Nvidia have their uses as well. If your after 3D gaming (which you can do on that Benq monitor), Nvidia cards are superior to AMD. And in some popular games like BF3 they tend to pull ahead until you get to resolutions above 1080p.

This graphics card gen has been tumultuous to say the least (Massive Block 'o Text incoming!)
At the beginning of the year, AMD was dominating at every price point over the Fermi (GTX500 series) cards. Then the GTX600 series showed up, they were clearly superior. Even the mid/high range 670 was beating the 7970 in benchmarks. Nvidia dominated for a while, then AMD released the 12.7 Catalyst drivers. Suddenly the 7970 was back on top and had taken back the crown for fastest single GPU on the market.
Nvidia then undercut AMD when they released the mid-range 650, 660 and 660Ti which beat their similarly priced AMD cards. AMD responded with a $50 price cut across the 7800 series and 7950, which made them competitive in the mid-range again.
Looking ahead, there is no doubt there is going to be a battle of the titans soon when AMD release the HD7990 to compete with the 690. The HD8000 series is looking to be very competitive if leaked spec sheets are accurate, very low prices at launch to steal all of Nvidia sales until they release the GTX700 series.
You just asked for advice during one of the times AMD was on top.

I would avoid the ASUS HD7970's all together. It takes up triple slots with no real benefit in cooling capability or silence for it.
Getting factory overclocked cards isnt really worth it, you are paying extra when you can clock the thing yourself for free. Factory overclocks are also quite conservative, you can often easily push it further (My Sapphire card is clocked 100/500Mhz higher than the factory OC version).
And no 7970 card should be $800 (Except maybe the Powercolour Devil, which is a dual GPU card), I suspect that is a quite severe typo.

This is the 7970 I would get.
Sapphire HD7970 3GB. $430
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...
The price premium for the Vapor-X edition isnt worth it, and the 6GB model is pointless unless you are running six screens.

The 680 is an option, but you would be better off with a GTX670. Hardware wise the 670 is an under-clocked and lower binned 680, you can just overclock the thing yourself to beat 680 performance at $100 less.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 8:18:53 AM

evilqueens said:

As long as the OP is not gaming on multiple monitors though, there really isn't anything wrong with considering the 680 like I suggested. Even if he is, it is still a very good card - and with recent discounts, makes it a much more competitive card when compared to Ghz edition 7970s.


In America that would be true, but its Australian prices we are talking here.
An overclocked Gigabyte 680 is $575, while a Ghz Gigabyte 7970 is $475. At those prices and their ~identical performance it makes no sense to get a 680.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

And if you point out what I said above and say "then why not overclock a 670?". A Gigabyte 670 is only $25 cheaper than a Gigabyte 7970 Ghz, and I think the extra cost is justified given the superior memory bus and quantity of VRAM.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 8:42:25 AM

Metro is quite a hard game to max, even for those with high end video cards. You will definitely want to run Xfire/SLI from the get go if you want to achieve a constant ~80FPS.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 1:30:06 PM

Nah Iv'e seen GTX690 SLI try and take metro 2033 and they don't even get constant 80fps..

You're right.. It is a very hard game to max.. I don't want to destroy it... I just want to have atleast 30+ at all times.. GTX670 SLI does that..

I'm leaning towards the GTX670 SLI .. Unless the HD7970 crossfire ends up being a better option. Still haven't researched much.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 2:17:10 PM

If you want multi-monitor some day in the future, 7970 is the way to go. (3-way monitors FTW!) Otherwise, the 670 is still a great option and competes with the 7970. (I think lol.)
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 2:50:05 PM

Sorry if this is covered already, skipped some end posts.

It may be worth considering a quad-sli mobo and using 670's instead of getting 1 690 now and one later. You will have a bit more noise, and need more cooling, but you will save probably ~500$US. The 670 offers only a minor improvement over the 680. The 690 is just a 680x2 (two GPUs on one board).

As for maxing out metro, that is a money pit. If I remember right, there is one particular setting that destroys your performance, and I don't think it adds a ton visually (I don't remember all the details, sorry). I would recommend settling for smooth 120hz at ALMOST maxing metro ;) 

Last I checked, AMDs 7970 wasn't faring all that well against the top nVidia cards, but I could be misinformed.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 2:52:57 PM

Ok guys !

Thanks for all your comments ! honestly helped me a lot :) 

If it were not for you guys, I would have ended up spending $3000 on my tower alone!

Special thanks to fellow Aussie 'Manofchalk' .. Helped me alot! I basically decided on what you listed for me!

Here's the new and improved list :)  .. Let me know if there's better options out there! (bang for buck etc.)

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge
MOBO: Asrock Z77-EXTREME4
RAM: G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD: Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda
SSD: OCZ 128G Vertex 4 Series SSD
GPU: Asus GF GTX670 DirectCU II TOP Edition X2 (SLI)
OPTICAL DRIVE: LGE CH12LS28 DVD 'Black' Blue Ray HD
CASE: NZXT PHANTOM Full Tower case white
PSU: SilverStone ST75F-P 750W Power Supply, 80Plus Silver

TOTAL: $2140 .. Which is reasonable for me, I was expecting to pay alot more for the same performance! (Also consider the GTX 670 SLI set me back a bit).. Was $1640 without the second GPU

GOOD YEAH?! xD

Let me know what you guys think. :) 

PS: I'm not too sure if my mobo is capable of more than just dual SLI.. It says "- Supports NVIDIA® Quad SLI™ and SLI™" .. Is it just that simple or am I missing something here? haha.


Regards,

Dimitrije
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 2:57:02 PM

Yeah I actually came to the exact conclusion..

I am going to SLI the GTX670's.. And make sure my mobo had quad-SLI capability..

If I read it right im pretty sure the on i've chosen is quad-sli capable.. the AsRock Z77 Extreme-4

EDIT: I'm actually not too sure now if my mobo is capable of more than just dual SLI.. It says "- Supports NVIDIA® Quad SLI™ and SLI™" .. Is it just that simple or am I missing something here? haha.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 3:30:56 PM

Dimitrije said:
Hey guys, I'd really appreciate an input.

I want to get back into the old gaming spirit and burn up some free time i have on my hands every now and again. And I need some help with the build etc. compatibility, bottlenecking, overkill. etc. etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: Lets just say for the US peeps. $2000USD .. More like $2500 here in Australia because everything costs more.. (Just for the tower)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games is the highest priority

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe.. I've got an idea of what I want which is: Benq XL2420T 24" LED Professional Gaming Monitor,1920x1080,120Hz ... Any suggestions are welcome

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: umart.com.au, msy.com.au, gamedude.com.au

Location: Brisbane, Australia

Parts Preferences: Intel and Nvidia .. Unless you can convince me otherwise

Overclocking: In the future (future proofing)

SLI or Crossfire: In the future (future proofing)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: A reasonably quiet PC.. But I understand with the bit of coin im gonna put into it that it'll be a bit loud.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Got the gamers itch back again.. Recently been promoted and work less but get more $$$ .. So im splurging a bit.

Oh God, I keep forgetting stuff -.- .. Here's what Iv'e got in mind for the build so far..

Intel Core i7 3930K Processor LGA2011 3.2GHz 12M Cache 6 Cores (no fan)
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Asus RAMPAGE IV FORMULA MB, Socket 2011, X79
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R Vengeance Performance Memory Module DDR3 1866MHz Unbuffered
Western Digital CaviarGreen 2TB 64MB SATA 3
Asus GTX 690 PCI-E 3.0 4GB 512-bit DDR5, Base:915 boost:1019/6008 MHz, DVI-I x 2, DVI-D x 1, Mi
LGE CH12LS28 12XBD/16DVDBlack Blue Ray HD Combo Retail
D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme NTM Wireless LAN PCI Express Adapter
NZXT PHANTOM Full Tower case w No PSU White
Corsair AX-850 ATX Power Supply


Regards,

Dimitrije



I think you will not be pleased with wireless gaming however you can always add a cable. I suggest adding an SSD for a boot drive (Samsung or Crucial) and using the green 2TB as bulk storage, possibly external. Also I highly recommend at least a 1000Watt PSU. I recently used a Seasonic 1050W for my own rig. Yes, it's overkill but consider it an insurance policy.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 3:45:35 PM

Those 670 DCII TOP cards are very rare. Quite lucky you find one.

Most cards wont scale well with 3-way to 4-way SLI, most it would give you is around ~30% improvement over 2 cards. Most games arent coded for multi-GPU anyways. (except for BF3. BF3 like multiple GPUs. Its a monster.)
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 10:27:26 AM

The Extreme4 is quad Crossfire/SLI capable in that you have enough slots to put four cards in. In reality due to bandwidth, you can only get two cards in.
To use all four PCI-e slots would bottleneck them all the PCI-2 x4 bandwidth.

Dual Crossfire/SLI is more than adequate for even the most intense gaming though. You would literally need an Eyefinity setup with 120hz monitors to justify quad SLI/Crossfire, and some much stronger hardware to support it (Think a 1200W PSU and a 2011 board and CPU).
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 2:24:53 PM

I see what you're saying manofchalk... Well by the time the 670GTX SLI can't handle the future games (long, long time) They will have much better cards released and I can simply just upgrade.
m
0
l
!