Updated build 1000$

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hey guys, can someone look over my build and give me some insight?

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower Gaming Case 302 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 & Audio
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
XFX Radeon HD 7870 Double D 1000MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card
Corsair Professional HX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail

Will the psu handle it?

Will anything bottleneck?

the final build is priced at 1060$ after taxes. which is where i want to be.
I know theres no ssd but im going to invest in one at a later date.

Please get back to me on and thanks in advance for any input.

with two cards in Crossfire mode.
Radeon HD 7870 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum and 700 Watt if you go with two cards in Crossfire mode.

If you are going to overclock the GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.For a system using a single AMD Reference Design Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

g-unit1111

Titan

That benchmark either makes no sense or is incredibly biased. How can they show dual 590's (a card that's long been discontinued and runs for $1200+ each), the 6990 (another card that's long been discontinued) and not show the benchmarks for dual 7970's or dual 680's? I don't get this one at all.

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks for the replys.
About the Cpu cooler, im not planning on overclocking right away. my budget is tight so i don't want to spend anymore than i have to.
Without OCing anything to begin with, will the cpu be fine with its stock fan for my 4-5hour gaming session?

Down the road i will OC the cpu but don't plan on going sli on any cards, i will probably just buy a new single card down the road when an upgrade is needed.
Is my Psu going to handle some overclocking with my current configuration? (obviously i would pick up a cpu cooler when this happens)
/
Thanks guys!

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
obviously the video card isnt the only thing that draws power. I want to know if the whole build can run on my 650w full load.
or should i buy a higher/lower watt psu.
i also said i want to Oc in the future, with the cooler and being oc's will tis psu handle it?

Lol!I know that and i told you your fine.As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line. It will work fine check here if you don't believe it http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realhardtechx.com%2Findex_archivos%2FPage362.htm&ei=JkNvUPqBEqiUigKBu4CYCA&usg=AFQjCNEo3bat7rIR2MHOx9Zq4avOcOvy6A&sig2=_Czoa1qMpVmVHh9Crin6oQ&cad=rja http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Since when is power consumption a benchmark?

I see nothing in that chart that even mentions anything about graphics performance.

I think your confused ;)

Agreed with big cyco, it will work fine. I am using a 6870 on a 500w antec unit (EA500D green) Though I am using a 95 cpu and not overclocking but if I wanted to I certainly have the headroom to do so.

A card with 1 8pin(6+2) can only use a max of 150w. Its a hard limit in every power supply. This review has a 3570k overclocked to 5Ghz and its max power consumption is 260w so you would only be using around 410w with EVERYTHING pushed to its absolute limit (assuming you had the cooling and assuming that you could push your hardware that far, which is unlikely)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-core-i5-3570k-cpu-review/7

side not to that "cpu" power consumption chart, its taken from the wall so its not JUST the cpu that they are measuring its their entire test setup which you can find on page 2.

For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two Radeon HD 7870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 39 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 45°C to 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The Corsair HX Series HX650 (CP-9020030), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870. It is also more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7870 in 2-way CrossFireX mode although it is deficient by two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

If you have the discontinued CMPSU-650HX model, it has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 52 Amps and also has four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Either PSU model is more than capable of powering your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7870 in 2-way CrossFireX mode and along with any overclocking of the CPU and GPU(s) you may want to attempt.