Sign in with
Your question

New Dream Machine

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 18, 2013 4:09:46 AM

I am retiring my current rig, which has served me well for over a decade, and I am looking to build a new dream machine.

I was walking through a used computer store to browse current computer technologies, and I spotted this wonderful new PSU still in its box and plastic wrap, and I knew it was perfect for my new rig. Here is a link to this baby:
http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/FSP300-60EGA.pdf
I don't know much about PSUs, so I am hoping someone can give me insight if the specs are what I need. The salesman working there told me that he had 15 of them a week ago, and they have been selling like hot-cakes. He only had one left, so I decided to buy it right away. Considering that I spent a cool $50 on it, I have decided to build my new machine around the PSU.

I am interested in the following components:
--CPU: AMD A8-3800 Llanno APU (4 X 2.4GHz -- 2.7GHz Turbo) -- 65watts
--RAM: 8 gigs DDR3 (1333Mhz) -- latency doesn't matter, I intend to buy generic. I will befuture-ready with the 8 gigs for a few years before I start considering adding another 4 or 8.
--GPU: I will be adding a dedicated Radeon 6670 2Gig DDR3 that will be CrossFired with the APU's internal GPU (6500D)
--Mother: The cheapest FM1 socket I can find.

I judge that my 300watt power supply (Gold Certified) is more than up to the task of powering my new dream system, despite what I've been reading elsewhere. But if I am overlooking something please bring it to my attention. Thank You.

More about : dream machine

a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 5:31:15 AM

stevieboy21 said:
I am retiring my current rig, which has served me well for over a decade, and I am looking to build a new dream machine.

I was walking through a used computer store to browse current computer technologies, and I spotted this wonderful new PSU still in its box and plastic wrap, and I knew it was perfect for my new rig. Here is a link to this baby:
http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/FSP300-60EGA.pdf
I don't know much about PSUs, so I am hoping someone can give me insight if the specs are what I need. The salesman working there told me that he had 15 of them a week ago, and they have been selling like hot-cakes. He only had one left, so I decided to buy it right away. Considering that I spent a cool $50 on it, I have decided to build my new machine around the PSU.

I am interested in the following components:
--CPU: AMD A8-3800 Llanno APU (4 X 2.4GHz -- 2.7GHz Turbo) -- 65watts
--RAM: 8 gigs DDR3 (1333Mhz) -- latency doesn't matter, I intend to buy generic. I will befuture-ready with the 8 gigs for a few years before I start considering adding another 4 or 8.
--GPU: I will be adding a dedicated Radeon 6670 2Gig DDR3 that will be CrossFired with the APU's internal GPU (6500D)
--Mother: The cheapest FM1 socket I can find.

I judge that my 300watt power supply (Gold Certified) is more than up to the task of powering my new dream system, despite what I've been reading elsewhere. But if I am overlooking something please bring it to my attention. Thank You.

CPU -- Llanno is old now. You want to get the Trinity APU series (A10-5800K preferably)
RAM -- In an APU, which has on-die graphics, you want the fasted RAM that the motherboard can support. Don't settle for just 1333 mhz. I recommend 2133 mhz or greater.
GPU -- Again, you seem to be a year behind. Crossfire with a 7000 series card.
MoBo -- An FM2 socket board will be required for the above.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 6:05:34 AM

personally i wouldn't be comfortable with that psu, im not judging a brand that i am not aware of but i'd rather take something i know that is reliable. and 300w is pushing it
m
l
a c 1218 ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 9:09:55 PM

Since your power supply has more than the minimum 20 Amps on the combined +12V rails recommended for a system using a single Radeon HD 6670 graphics card you'll be fine.
m
l
!