New FX Card upgrade -- any suggestions

First off, can't go more than $400. Looking for the best card that'll get me at least 45 fps at 1280x1020 with some of the new upcoming games like Metro Last Light, GTA 5 or Metro 2033. All these games maxed out haha. System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
8 answers Last reply
More about card upgrade suggestions
  1. The best $400 card will be a GTX670.
    You will need a 500w psu.

In a week or so, the GTX660 should arrive at a lower price point. At your resolution, I think it might do the job.
    Check the benchmarks.
  2. ^ Agreed with the above.

However, I would personally get either a GTX660 Ti (Should be released sometime next week) or a Radeon HD7870. Both will be priced around $299, so that leaves you an extra ~$100, which you could use to invest in preferably a 1080p monitor :)

Those two cards should be able to almost max out those games at 1080p without a sweat.
  3. Well ASUS has a 23" 3D Monitor I was looking at. As for this GFX card, you sure I can do it with those? I mean I'd love to have 60, but I think 45 is gracious with Metros next. Just want to play those high end games at a very comfortable FPS and be prepared for that 23" eventually. Appreciate the help guys
  4. As long as you don't play in 3D (this is even demanding for cards such as a GTX680), you should be fine on the 23" (assuming it's 1080p since most of those screen sizes are).

If you have money set aside for your monitor already, I would suggest the GTX670 like stated above. However, if you can find a HD7970 for a reasonable price (meaning massive discounts/rebates), I think it is something worth taking into consideration.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1273746/radeon-7970-will-outperform-gtx-680-with-catalyst-12-7/100#post_17618444

With their price drop and driver updates, they're looking like a pretty good value IMO.
  5. Yea I have been checking out the HD7970s and they seem amazing on the benchmarks which I find odd because in my past experience I bought mainly NVidia since they won. After Metro 2033, I'm going to take revenge on Witcher 2 for running shitty on this system.
  6. Yeah :) only if you can get the 7970's for a reasonable price, though. Otherwise I would prefer to get the 670 without a doubt :lol:
  7. Yea lots people seem to recommending that. This is such an upgrade haha 4 GB 1066 DDR2, 2.2 AMD X2 Dual core, 460 768 haha I cannot wait. I tried playing Witcher 2 and that's what made me realize "Yeah, I need to upgrade"
  8. :lol: I see, that's definitely a good reason to upgrade...very modest system you have there, but it's definitely aging :)

By the way, have you decided on a power supply?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics