Sign in with
Your question

Help - is this upgrade a good idea?

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2012 8:00:04 AM

Hello all,

I'd like to upgrade my computer, I asked for some suggestions elsewhere on what I should do, I was hoping for some second opinions.

The computer at the moment is (graphics card is recent the rest is 5 or so years old):

Q6600 G0 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" @ 2.40GHz
Asus P5K Premium
MSI 6950 HD OC
Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5
CM690
Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU
1TB HDD F3
Windows 7 x64

The suggested upgrade is of the case (the current one is a bit beaten up), motherboard, CPU, RAM and CPU cooler:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) £175
Fractal Design Define R4 Midi Tower Case - Titanium Grey £95
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £85
GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (GD38GB1600C11DC) £ 23
Noctua NH-D14 - £55

Total is £433 or $700. I expect components are cheaper in america so take that with a pinch of salt - but if someone could say something for the quality of the system or suggest any alternatives then that would be excellent.

More about : upgrade good idea

a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2012 8:22:32 AM

For the Motherboard, since you're going to be overclocking, go with the -UD3H, as it's got a bit more leeway for that sort of thing.

As for the case, I don't know anything about that one, but if you want something cheaper, the NZXT Gamma Classic is $40 USD and holds up extremely well, especially if you throw a second fan in there. [Aside from lack of fans, it's as nice as any $100 case I've ever seen.]

Other than that, your upgrades are wonderful. If you want to save a bit of money here and there, aside from the case, you could get a Hyper 212+ or evo for your cooler.

The only thing that really stands out to me is that that RAM has no heatsink.

I don't know anything about that brand, but the lack of heatsink scares me a little - I'd try to find something with better cooling. Ram gets hot nowadays.
October 5, 2012 9:11:19 AM

DarkSable said:
For the Motherboard, since you're going to be overclocking, go with the -UD3H, as it's got a bit more leeway for that sort of thing.

As for the case, I don't know anything about that one, but if you want something cheaper, the NZXT Gamma Classic is $40 USD and holds up extremely well, especially if you throw a second fan in there. [Aside from lack of fans, it's as nice as any $100 case I've ever seen.]

Other than that, your upgrades are wonderful. If you want to save a bit of money here and there, aside from the case, you could get a Hyper 212+ or evo for your cooler.

The only thing that really stands out to me is that that RAM has no heatsink.

I don't know anything about that brand, but the lack of heatsink scares me a little - I'd try to find something with better cooling. Ram gets hot nowadays.

Thanks loads!

I wasn't sure about the RAM either - can anyone recommend an alternative?

I'm quite keen to splash out a little on the heatsink because my current computer sounds like a harrier jumpjet, I'd like something quieter but that's still got good cooling power, in fact looking at charts it looks like the noctua C14 is much quieter than the D14 so I think I'd get that instead.

The case is a really great one, it's an improvement on the Fractal R3 which came from a little-known manufacturer but blew reviewers away because it out-performed cooling on a lot of pro cases despite being built for noise reduction.

Motherboards totally overwhelm me, is there a specific brand of UD3H I should go for? Does it still have an SPDIF output?
October 5, 2012 9:28:01 AM

I had a Z77-D3H for about 72 hours I have the same memory but it is 2X8 it refused to run it at 1600Mhz on that board. The same memory ran just fine at 1600Mhz on the ASRock Z77 Extreem 4. Addationaly the Z77-D3H is not capable of using the onboard RAID and an add in RAID card at the same time. I do not know if the UD3H will have the same problems as the D3H but I personnaly would not trust it.
!