Sign in with
Your question

I'd recommend the V8

Last response: in Components
February 18, 2013 5:26:50 AM

Over the 212 Evo. The Evo feels cheaply made, and if you're using the AMD bracket, it slides horizontally on the socket. A better option is the V8. I'm getting 45C max load on my A10-5800K, prime95 has been running for over 8 hours and it's not even breaking a sweat. I realize people like the Evo because it's cheap, but the V8 will perform better under load and is a smarter investment.

More about : recommend

February 18, 2013 5:52:28 AM

personally, i would stay away from the v8, it looks nice, it performs ok but it is difficult to clean.

there are lots of options out there, and note that i used to own a v8. the thing is bulky
m
l
February 18, 2013 5:56:03 AM

Take the fan off, the top assembly, hose it off, let it dry completely. There we go. It performs way better than the Evo. The Evo is only an entry level cooler.

Yes it's bulky. What CPU cooler worth its salt isn't?
m
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
February 18, 2013 6:08:27 AM

For near $15 more, you would expect it to perform better.
Also remember that the 212 EVO can sometimes be had for as low as $25, its price fluctuates a fair bit.

I'v used a 212 EVO, I think its fairly good cooler for the price. Didnt find any issue with its quality, and the fact you can twist it slightly when mounted I think is a good thing. Not like that worsens the contact between CPU and Baseplate.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:12:49 AM

It's decent, but it didn't provide enough cooling for my taste.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:36:47 AM

well, there are others out there that performs similarly (if not better), at a similar price but more user friendly.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:41:54 AM

but please dont get me wrong, to each his own. it's all about preference, hell i like the performance of d14 but it is too big and i dont like the fan color. but that is just me
m
l
February 18, 2013 11:43:27 PM

Cons29 said:
well, there are others out there that performs similarly (if not better), at a similar price but more user friendly.

It took me no more than 3 min to install it. If your case doesn't have an opening under the motherboard or isn't wide enough, that's not the cooler's fault. check the dimensions before you get a cooler.
m
l
February 19, 2013 5:48:35 AM

All the stress on the mobo+blocking ram slots is a nice trade for a few degrees. How about getting a closed loop cooler and have the performance+ room in case.
m
l
February 19, 2013 5:56:50 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
All the stress on the mobo+blocking ram slots is a nice trade for a few degrees. How about getting a closed loop cooler and have the performance+ room in case.

It doesn't block any RAM slots like the Evo did. It's tall, but not that wide at the base, leaving plenty of room in the case.

Yes, it is heavy, but have you ever tried to break a motherboard before? You pretty much need a sledge hammer.

They're incredibly durable. One time I tried to see if I could snap it in half, and it just flexed a little bit. I tried to see how much pressure it was, so I pressed down on a scale and it was over 250 lbs.
m
l
a b À AMD
February 19, 2013 5:59:51 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
How about getting a closed loop cooler and have the performance.

:lol: 
Unless you want to spend $110 for a H100i or other dual rad CLC, you wont get performance better than mid-range air cooling.
m
l
a b À AMD
February 19, 2013 6:03:37 AM

smokeybravo said:
It's decent, but it didn't provide enough cooling for my taste.

TBH that was a complete waste for an A10.
m
l
February 19, 2013 6:07:51 AM

amuffin said:
TBH that was a complete waste for an A10.

The A-10 is one of the hottest running CPUs there is, short of an FX-3850. I'm still not sure if the integrated graphics heat it up or not. AMD told me it doesn't affect the core temperature, but the package temperature could be another story. Anyway, I wanted quality since I'll probably use it in all future builds.
m
l
!