Optiplex 960 SFF, desperate for any gfx card

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheatnoodles

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hi guys, I'm new here but I've been browsing the forums for several years for tips and whatnot.
Finally decided to sign-up as I don't know which card to buy for my current PC.

Optiplex 960 (Small Form Factor, yikes)
It's a business computer I believe.. can't really switch anything out or something?

PSU: 255w (I'd love for higher psu but the ones I've bought never fit, physically..)
GFX: radeon HD3450 256mb (desperate for a card that my PC can handle without exploding)
Processor: Intel Quad-core (Q9550)
HDD: 80 GB (not looking to switch this one out yet)
OS: Win7 Enterprise (it's my work@home computer given by the company)
RAM: 8 GB

I've read that the hd4670 would be best considering my PSU, but the problem is the size.
My case can only fit low-profile cards. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but length is under 7 inches I believe.

Any information would be much appreciated.
Using Google to search for my exact model & size & PSU isn't working out at all.
At most, I play League of Legends on Low-to-Medium settings, but looking to be able to run Borderlands 2.

I nearly bought this, but figured it wouldn't fit my case at all whatsoever.
http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-382.shtml

If anything, I'd be down to buy a new PC altogether. (budget's like $600 max though. have extra monitors)
Won't be buying new PC til at least October or November though.
As for gfx card, most likely bought online as soon as I find one better than 3450.

Hope I provided enough information! Thanks guys.

Solution
Alright, I'll piece something together for you tomorrow. You could also go to the "new build" section of this forum and make a post if you please.

Well I'm guessing since its a company computer that you wont want to break it apart and change it such as with a new case and whatnot. If you are down to take apart that computer a build can be suggested.

Your Core 2 Quad is still pretty quick even for today's gaming standards. Not like lightning fast, but potent nonetheless.

Would you be willing to remove the side paned on the computer and tell me the 12V amperage on the power supply?

wheatnoodles

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Okay so I'm at the office and not with my desktop at home, but I was able to get the service tag/parts info for it.
Parts# || Part Description
T845M || INSTRUCTION..., TRIGGER..., SVC TAG
C158J || KIT..., DOCUMENTATION..., SERI/WSI, ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., DAO/BCC
J229H || KIT..., Software, VB32SP1A, Digital Video Disk Drive, Multiple, 5
CP541 || Assembly, Heatsink, Shroud Performance, Motley Crue Desk Top
J8461 || ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., VIDEO..., LEAD FREE...
M576D || Assembly, Panel, Filler, 3.5 inchForm Factor, BJMT/MCDT
H026G || Kit, Software, Roxio, Creator 9.0-01, Business
HY281 || Hard Drive, 80G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, SGT-NH
K123H || Kit, Software, Powerdvd, 8.1-00 Digital Video Disk Drive 0 83535 INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
D568C || Assembly, DVD+/-RW..., 16X Half Height, Serial Ata, PLDS
F357H || Processor, Q9550, 2.83, 12MB Yorkfield, E0
J9256 || KIT..., CABLE..., NVIDIA..., VIDEO GRAPHICS ADAPTER..., DIGITAL VIDEO INTERFACE..., LEAD FREE...
PU214 || Kit, Mouse/Keyboard, UNITED STATES..., DT Vista, AMF
Y103D || Card, Graphics, 256, Loop, OUGA6
5120P || Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded
F619D || ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., MCDT, PWA INTEGRATED..., 960, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY..., THIRD PARTY MAINTENANCE...
U522F || INSTRUCTION..., DEV-TO-MCDT-L5.5, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY..., 960
(2) YG410 || Dual In-Line Memory Module 2G, 800M, 256X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
^no idea what half of these things mean

After looking at pictures of SFF & minitower/desktop cases, I think my PC is actually a "midsize desktop" .. I'll have to edit the title of the thread, but I'm not 100% sure. I used to think my case was MT, so I bought an HD6xxx only to see it won't fit due to it being too long and too thick in depth.
Really not sure, I'll update about it when I get home at 7:30pm EST.
(I'm second-guessing myself because after looking at a picture of the PSU in smallformfactor, I knew my psu did NOT look like that, but I haven't opened the case in months so it's possible my memory is just that terrible)

I'll definitely open the panel and see the what the amperage is on it.
If anything I'd replace the card back once I've no need for the desktop.

Thanks for the response, I'll check this thread again once I get home.

wheatnoodles

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Ok the amperage for 12V is 15.0 & 10.0 ...is that right?
Thanks for the tip risaccess1, I think I just might buy the sapphire version.
I think it'll fit in my case but still my concern is the PSU.

At the moment, I have dual monitors hooked up, as well as two external hard drives.
Would that mean the HD4670 will be too much power with all of these combined?

Thanks.
Also, I'm looking at desktops on cyberpower; I just might buy one of those instead of relying on this PC for gaming.

Please do not buy anything from the Cyperbowe website. Its usually overpriced and not worth it. You can build your own for much less price. I can put together a build for you if you give a budget.

My only concern is that you would not be able to take apart the computer and mount it in a new case with a new power supply and video card, because the Core2Quad is still a viable processor.

wheatnoodles

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Okay, I've decided not to modify anything on this desktop. I will attempt to build my own PC.
(after hours of browsing and online-building on various websites, I've realized it's just so much cheaper to buy individual parts)

My new budget is now $900... or $800...
I won't need a monitor nor OS.

I really appreciate all this help! :)

Sorry its been so long, I just updated the case in my computer which took alot of time:

Here's a nice build

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eUHP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eUHP/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eUHP/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($307.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.33 @ Amazon)
Total: $883.79
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-17 21:33 EDT-0400)

Status
Not open for further replies.