Good motherboard for crossfiring 2 7970s & 3770k

deewevoli

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I'm mainly concerned about the issue with crossfiring these cards
I hear you need to leave a space / slot in between them due to heat / thickness

Which motherboard is good for 2 7970's and compatible with i7 3770k?
I may do a little overclocking nothing too crazy.

Spending between 150-250 preferably on the lower end.

The one im looking at now is the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
but will this give me the proper spacing for these cards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-819

Thanks

deewevoli

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Thanks, I plan on using eyefinity with 3 monitors at a high res.

I just heard that with such high resolutions the x8/x8 with that board would give a noticable drop vs a x16x16 board.

Quote from a year ago on these forums:
"the only real performance drop you would see is if you had exactly that: a multi monitor setup with a big resolution. There the bandwidth starts to come into play. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what the percentage drop was, but it was significant enough to give pause. If you are looking for an eyefinity setup, I would wait until the next socket intel is releasing this year. It'll give you the x16/x16 slots"

Forgot to mention half my time is workstation use with 3d modeling apps: Maya / 3ds max / zbrush / cry engine etc.
So yes to vid editing as well.

Can you please recommend a board like this one but with proper spacing and 16's?
Thanks!

oh ok. go ahead with the i7

thats pretty much false. 8x 8x is normal for any z77 motherboard. the ones with a plx chip which provides more bandwidth would have more latency since it has to go to a switching chip before going to the card. and the fact that the cards cannot even use pci-e 2 effectively means that 8x 8x is more than enough