Sign in with
Your question

E6600/4x2g ballistix sport/giga p35c./8800gtx

Last response: in Components
February 18, 2013 8:07:05 AM

hi,

the title is what i have now, im looking to upgrade to a q6600 (good price for me) and im wondering if if 8 gig is designed for that mobo (latest firmware) or should i get rid of 4gig. and lastly i see some people are using 2 gfx cards, can i double up too? wouldl love to play Planetside 2 with higher settings, ive had to go low on everything.
thankyou for your time, any advice would be appreciated. at the mo im trying to get the e6600 to run at 3gig, thats a work in progress,

February 18, 2013 11:47:29 PM

We need a more exact make/model of your board to determine if it can run 2 cards in SLI or CF, and how much memory it can accept and what speed. But what I don't understand, is if you are using 4 x 2GB of memory in that board now, why ask if it will accept 8GB?

Moving to a different processor may require a BIOS update for the board to recognize the CPU. Again, the board make/model is required.
February 20, 2013 11:42:49 AM

hi Clutchc, thanks for the reply, the make and model of the board is the gigabyte - GA-p35c-GS3R bios, updated 2 weeks ago to the latest F12.
The 8gig question was really that i have read that anything over 4gig is pointless, and that more sticks of ram isnt quite as quick as the same value in lesser sticks, i just dont know what to go with. I definitely want to up my 5 year old card to maybe a 1gig gfx card too, but maybe something from ebay as i really cant afford a new card. (maybe) i think the double card might have been a bit ambitious!! i just loved the idea of it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks again. (also for gpu recoms)
thanks clutchc
February 20, 2013 1:28:17 PM

If this is your board: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
...That was a nice board in its day. I used to have the one a step below that one. But enough reminiscing...
That board should have no problem supporting the Q6600 (or any 775 socketed chip). As far as the amount of memory, as long as you have a 64 bit O/S you can utilize up to 16GB of memory (or more) fine. A 32 bit O/S limits you to 4GB. Everything being equal, the amount of memory doesn't limit its quickness. 8GB will operate just as fast as 4GB. But you should always install memory sticks in matching pairs if possible.

Since your board only has a single PCIe X16 slot, you will be limited to a single gfx card. SLI and CF is out of the question. Your choice of gfx cards will only be limited by the size of your PSU. If the card you choose does not require a separate PCIe 6/8 pin cable, most small PSUs will be fine. (The PCIe x16 buss itself allows for 75W) So I guess the next thing I need to ask is the make/model of your PSU.
February 20, 2013 6:06:31 PM

thankyou thats great info, yes mate thats the baby
im running 64 bit windows 7 so thats cool and Ive just purchased a OCZ ZS series 750w PSU
here:- http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/ocz-zs750w-uk-zx-series-a...
cheers again for the advice. (ive been looking at cards maybe around the £75/£80 mark, but im kinda baffled by all the variations
February 20, 2013 6:24:29 PM

That's a nice PSU. 750W is a bit much for what you are interested in upgrading to. But it will be there for you if you decide to 'go crazy' ;) 

Keeping the price in the £75/£80 range will limit you for getting a fast graphic card. At that price, the AMD HD 7750 would be your best choice: http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=price+ascending&price...
If you can go another £10, you can move up to an HD 7770. What resolution is your monitor?
February 21, 2013 2:21:41 PM

ahh im pleased its cool! i bought it a couple of days ago as i had previously bought one off ebay for £18 which blew up after an OCCT stress test! :\ (yes £18! what was i thinking)

this is the monitor (max res 1920-1200)
http://www.reusetek.com/dell-ultrasharp-2407wfpb-24-lcd...
its about 5 years old now but i still really like its detail

the cards look exactly what i was looking for, then!!, do u think i could at least turn a tad of AA and textures with any of those 2 in something like farcry 3 or am i asking for too much with my limited wallet?

thanks mate
February 21, 2013 2:41:45 PM

At that high-ish resolution, the HD 7750 will be doing all it can just to give smooth frame rates at AAA. But try it. Worse case; you get jerky frame rate.
You know... you could probably save some money on a less expensive PSU since you don't need 750W, and get yourself a slightly better graphic card. Maybe move up to the HD 7770 or the HD 7850. The latter would give you great frame rates with a good deal of AA and high textures turned on. And a good quality 500W - 600W PSU would be sufficient.
February 21, 2013 2:55:01 PM

Wanted to add this, but I wasn't able to edit for some reason.
If you wanted to go with Nvidia cards, the GTX 650ti and the GTX 660 would be the equivalents to the above AMD 7770/7850 cards.
February 22, 2013 10:53:10 AM

back again, its friday, so ive got that false sense of OWTF, and and gonna sort stuff tomoz morning, im going to exchange the 750w for the 550w or 650w (which one do you recon? i may be doing a bit of OC'ing) and im going for the hd 7850! as theres a pay nowt for 9 months at scan.co.uk. :) 
which hd7850 do you think you would go for?
http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=hd+7850

and do i still need a lesser psu for this card.
thanks mate, getting a bit excited now
February 22, 2013 2:25:20 PM

If you go for a HD 7850, a good quality 650W PSU will be more than enough. I probably shouldn't have been so eager to convince you to trade in the 750W. But I was assuming you were going to go with the 7750 or possibly the 7770. The 750W PSU won't be quite as much overkill for the 130W HD 7850 and your 105W Q6600. So if you can save enough between the 2 PSUs to justify the price of the 7850, go for the 650W. But if not, keep the 750W. Only you can decide the right price.

On choosing the best card... the best is usually one of the most expensive. I have enough trouble picking a card for myself, let alone someone else. Let me put it this way; I just built a Gamer for my grandson with a Sapphire 2GB HD 7850 and an i5-2310.
No game we have is to much to run at max/near max settings at 192x1080. I don't know if you'll need the 2GB. I probably didn't either, but the 2GB version was on sale so I bought it. Looking through the list of cards at your site, I can say I've built with all those brands and never had a failure with any of them. But, truthfully, I've never had a graphic card fail yet of any brand. If cost is going to be the deciding issue, the least expensive one on the page, the XFX 1GB, is a good choice.

Sometimes it is hard to not go crazy when one starts looking components. Just remember what your original intent was and try not to exceed it. You can always upgrade again in the future.
February 22, 2013 3:35:40 PM

again great advice mate, i think ill keep the PSU too then ;)  saves me a trip, too!
its all good now because of the pay nothing till later deal, so really happy with keeping that and a getting the 7850. cheers for all your time!
will let you know how i get on

February 22, 2013 4:22:09 PM

You're welcome, and enjoy your new upgrade.

(I have to say one more thing. I hadn't realized your old card was a 8800GTX until I scrolled back up to the top of the page. That old card used more power than the new one will use. That was a beast of a card. Here's how they compare: http://www.hwcompare.com/12162/geforce-8800-gtx-vs-rade... )
February 23, 2013 8:38:50 AM

haha! that link makes it all seem like this is long over due! well chuffed with that, looks like i came to the right place ! big thumbs up!!

the used q6600 and the new 750psu went in lastnight, and im gonna order the card after this coffee, whoop whoop! :) 

cheers mate,

!