Need help selecting Case & CPU cooler

maxlol

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I am in the final stages of a new build that I plan to use for some video encoding/music editing/streaming of video and just general use. It will be a hackintosh and triple boot windows linux and osx. I am also looking to get into gaming eventually and will upgrade the gpu at that time. I am having a hard time selecting a cooler and case for some reason. Feedback will be great.

Have-

cpu - i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)

psu -XFX XXX Edition P1-650X-CAG9 650W

gpu -EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

ssd- Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL60GB-DX 2.5" 60GB Will use for linux.

HDD- Western Digital WD Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare

Planning to get

mobo-

either GA-Z77X-UD5H or GA-Z77X-UP5-TH

I am wanting to stick with gigabyte because they are historically very compatible with osx and linux. From what I see the largest difference between the boards being thunderbolt (wifi and bluetooth will not work in OSX and if I need them I'll buy adapters) which I don't use so i am leaning away from it. What are you thoughts on thunderbolt?

ssd either OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) or SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The Vertext 4 looks to be a little faster in regard to write time but from what I've seen the 830 is very highly suggested because of compatibillity in OSX. I will get the 830 for OSX and the Vertext 4 for windows.

ram- CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9

THIS IS WHERE I AM HAVING TROUBLE!

case.

I like

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
This case is awesome. There are a few things that I think could be refreshed. It seems like the front I/O ports now include a usb 3.0. I like the fact that it is roomy enough for me to work in and grow so to speak.

650d- Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel structure with black brushed aluminum faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer Case I like the look of this case as well its very similar to the 800d but has been updated a bit.

I am also considering the Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case because its supposed to be very quiet.

NZXT SWITCH 810 White CA-SW810-W1 I really like the way this case looks as well and I have read great things about the innovation, I like the fact that its new. Then I have also read that it is plasticy and poor quality.

Finally the BitFenix Shinobi XL Window White Steel I also really like the way this case looks I like the 'charge' port that is on the front.

CPU COOLERS

I have only used the corsair h50 never used air before so i am afraid of them being loud.

I am considering the antec 920, the corsair h100 and h80 and for air i am considering Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme I like the way the cooler looks have read mixed reviews don't know if its loud or not.

as well as the Phanteks PH-TC14PE 140mm

I know i am all over the place but i am having a terrible time choosing! Thanks for the input anything at all will help.

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Air coolers can actually be very quiet, I find the chassis fans are often louder in my builds.

I usually suggest the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus because it offers great performance for a mere $20. I have installed several of these for friends, they're not noisy at all.

If you're planning on going completely bananas with overclocking, there's the Noctua NH-D14 for $83. This thing is a monster and performs better than some watercooling setups, but it's probably overkill unless you're planning to really push the thermal envelope. I have it myself, and it's very quiet by default, and also comes with resistors for the fans if you want to make it even quieter.

maxlol

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I've see very good things of the noctua thanks for the reply care to comment on the two i listed? I like the design/color scheme of them I may overclock slightly but nothing insanse.

I am also for looking on feedback on the cases. thanks again.

crowz9

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 550D. Big, quiet, good looking.

COOLER: Corsair H100. Cool and quiet.

Regarding case, trust me, you don't really need Full ATX in present days. It is too big.
Any mid tower case with those fancy holes for cable management will serve good.

Another advice would be to not use multiple graphics cards.

Zalamn cnps 9900 NT green led plus corsair miltary green vengeance C70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118054&Tpk=9900%20nt - CPU COOLER
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139015 - CASE
Just because it looks cool lol.
A closed loop cooler for noise levels and i think any corsair case will work lol i like almost all of them.

Rosewill BLACKHAWK ULTRA Super tower- gigantic looks sweet lots of room for fans lol
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157

maxlol

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Thank you. I have seen the Hper 212 Plus HIGHLY reccomended.

Initially I wanted to have a windowed case and make the setup look 'pretty' but I am thinking that building practical (economic and quiet) will be a better idea.

I only have one gpu now I would probably upgrade to one good one rather then dual cards. I like the 550D thanks.

I am watching a review of the h100 and the carbide 400r now actually!

truth be told I'll probably stay stock until I get all my software figured out with the hack and then a mild overclock to get some extra oomph.

I JUST watched a vid on that corsair case lol I like the idea of it but not my style. That cooler looks wierd but i guess its really quiet? thanks fro commenting I'll look into that.

What do you guys think of the nzxt switch 810 and the fractal r4?

crowz9

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Whatever you think looks better.

Fractal R3 is the one that Pewdiepie uses. It's pretty cool. Fractal R4 is also good.

I like all NZXT cases, I have the Gamma case and it is very satisfying.