Advice on choice of new build [UK]

Hi guys,

I need some advise as to whether these componants are right for my build. (and the right price)
I am actually getting this desktop built by Scan 3XS as I dont have the time or patience to do it myself.

This is the one I have chosen (plus a few upgrades). It costs £1,140 before upgrades and £1,444 after. My budget was supposed to be £1,400. :??:

The desktop is going to be used primarily for office work but I will be watching films/tv shows, listening to music and gaming in my spare time. I play CSS (plan to play global offensive), BF3 and other graphic demanding games. I would like to be able to play the latest games out for the next year on very high settings at playable FPS (no lag).

I want to order this computer this week.

3XS Z77 Performance GTX [this shows the desktop without the upgrades chosen]

Components I have chosen:
Case - Corsair Carbide Series 500R, Black, Mid Tower Gaming Case (+£30.20)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77 Chipset
CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K, Ivy Bridge, 3.5GHz, Quad Core + Hyperthreading, 8MB Cache (+£62.02)
CPU Cooler - Thermalright Macho Performance CPU Cooler
RAM - 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP, DDR3, 1600Mhz (+£23.46)
GPU - 3GB XFX Radeon HD 7950, 800MHz GPU, 1792 Cores, 5000MHz GDDR5 (-£41.33)
PSU - 850W Corsair Pro Series, HX, Modular, 80PLUS Gold (+£64.65)
Hard Drive - SSD 240GB Corsair Force 3, Read 550MB/sec, Write 520MB/sec - SF-2281 (+£46.86)
Hard Drive 2 - Removed 1TB spin drive (-£45.89)
Optical Drive - Pioneer DVR-S19LBK DVD Writer
Sound Card - Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Gaming Sound Card & Headphone Amp
Wireless Adapter - Edimax EW-7622UMn 11n 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter (+£9.97)
Monitor - 24" Asus VS247H LED, 1920x1080 (+£121.24)
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - OEM
NO other peripherals needed (I have what I need)
Overclocking - Extreme Overclock - 4.6Ghz - Tuned to absolute safe maximum - Performance prioritised over acoustics.

Reasons for choosing:
I need this build to last at least 7 years in terms of performance. I realise for gaming I may have to upgrade my GPU in that time but I don't really want to upgrade anything else. (does this sound about right?)

Case - Seems like a great case that will last and accommodate most component upgrades.
Motherboard - The upgrades they offer do not seem worth it for the price. This MOBO does not support SLI/CF but I don't think I will need it. I normally just upgrade the single GPU (what do you think?)
CPU - The 3770k seems perfect for performance and future proofing. Although Scan 3XS overclock it for me is it best to go for the 4.6Ghz or go for 4.4Ghz. I dont want the system to run hot and loud. (will 4.6Ghz make it too hot or loud!? if it is clocked at 4.4Ghz will it make a differance?)
CPU Cooler - The Corsair H80 Hydro Series (+£28.26)
RAM - These seem goof although it would have been great if they gave the option to upgrade to 2400mhz Tridents or something.
GPU - Went for the 7950 instead of the more expensive Nvidia 670 as it seems to be the better option in terms of performance/price
PSU - It certainly is a premium option to upgrade from the 650W Corsair Enthusiast, TX Series Modular (80PLUS Bronze) for £64.65 more but I heard these are quieter and more importantly will future proof the rig (especially if I have to upgrade the GPU in the next 7 years)
Hard Drive - I have chosen the 240GB Corsair Force 3 and not added a normal spin drive just because I will be using external hard drives for media. (therefore I saved a little money by upgrading the SSD from 120GB to 240GB and removed the 1TB spin drive) (Is it wise to run the system on just a SSD? especially in terms of reliability)
Optical Drive - Simple DVD Writer will suffice. I dont use Blu-ray disks and could upgrade this later if needed.
Sound Card - I wanted a premium sound over the motherboard but didn't want to spend much so thought this would do the job (Is it worth upgrading to the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio - PCI-E (x1) for £8.00 more?)
Wireless Adapter - Is the USB adapter I have chosen good enough to casually game? Do I need to get a better one or buy a PCI wireless adapter!? Or is it better to just upgrade the MOBO to the Asus P8Z77-V Z77, Intel Z77 Chipset - SLI Ready & WIFI (not even sure if the wireless is great in these?)
Monitor - The Asus VS247H seems brilliant for the rice and my needs.

Thanks in advance! Sorry if I have missed anything out!
Please let me know what you guys think.

Ravi
6 answers Last reply
More about advice choice build
  1. Sorry i was meant to say at the CPU Cooler part - That the The Corsair H80 Hydro Series (+£28.26) did not seem worth the upgrade and I heard the Thermalright does a good job and is quieter. (Am I right?)
  2. You are right with the thermalright. The build looks pretty good. The RAM is overkill, and you don't need an i7. The i5-3570k will perform the same. Also, I would get the MSI 7950 over the XFX. However, the 660ti is the same price and does better in Bf3.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008X36NHA/?tag=pcp0f-21
  3. Thanks for the quick reply mate.
    Your right about the ram so ill consider sticking with 8GB of RAM. (is it worth saving the £23.46 tho?)
    Does the i7 have any advantages in general and will it keep the rig more future proofed?? (surely it will perform better as more programs/games utilise the multi-cores?)

I'll have to ask Scan to change the GPU to the MSI (mind me asking why you referred this?)
  4. The i7 would be better for CPU heavy applications, and right now, the trend is GPU heavy games. It's really unpredictable how the future will look. If I were to take a guess, the i7 wouldn't last any significant amount longer than the i5.

I recommended the MSI because it is clocked higher and has a better cooler on it.

I would just go for the 8GB. It is more than enough now. If you ever decide you need more, you can always add a stick or two, and it will probably be cheaper in the future to do so.
  5. Thanks for the advice zared! Really appreciate it. :)

Anyone else able to help with the queries I have in my Reasons for choosing
  6. Forget the H80. It's not worth it. You're better off with a Noctua NH-D14.

16gb of RAM is overkill and more than you will ever need, so +1 to zared619.
    2 modules is also preferred, so get a (2x4gb) kit.

Dunno about the sound card, but the integrated ones are usually good, and you'll only need a discrete one if you have some epic audio system.

Motherboard is overpriced imo. Try looking for ASRock or ASUS alternatives, they would usually have more features.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems