Did I kill my PSU?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I have a Dell XPS 420 which I replaced the psu with a good Scythe one. I had moved and when I set up the computer in the new place, I didn't notice that I plugged in the wrong cord to the power supply. So for about 2 months I used the wrong power cord. The psu's cord is rated at 12A 125V, the cord I was using is rated at 6A 125V. I would leave the computer on all day and night sometimes during the past two months.

About a week ago my computer started freezing and the display driver reset log keep popping up. I tried installing the latest drivers for the gpu and cleaned the system.
When that didn't work I bought a new gpu. Still nothing worked. It is still doing it.

Did I kill my psu and if so, is this the cause of my computer always freezing(especially when opening webpages) and the display driver reset log constantly appearing?

Help please

Solution
Uninstall your drivers and software for your card, get Ccleaner and run the registry portion to check for errors and to help clean up unnecessary registry files left over. Run till 0 error found. Reinstall the latest drivers for your card From AMD or Nvidia, depending on which one it is.

logainofhades

Titan
Uninstall your drivers and software for your card, get Ccleaner and run the registry portion to check for errors and to help clean up unnecessary registry files left over. Run till 0 error found. Reinstall the latest drivers for your card From AMD or Nvidia, depending on which one it is.

Solution

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Hello

Thanks
Tried it and it didnt work. Does that mean the psu is bad or that I have a bad mb or that I need to reinstall the OS?

No. As long as the connectors on both ends fit and you are not drawing more than 750 watts (6A * 120V) then the cord has nothing to do with it.

At this point I would start suspecting motherboard more than anything but it would not hurt to try a different PSU if you can.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

I was using a GTS 8600 so I do not think that it drew more than 750 watts.

I will try to rebuild the computer with a new case and new motherboard.

Thank you.