AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core on msi k9n sli v2?

chuisco

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hello everyone this is my first post on tom's hardware, so beforehand I thank you for taking a look at my post.

I have an old pc with a k9n sli v2 motherboard, Athlon x2 4800+ cpu, 4gb of ram, a geforce gts 250 and a 450 watt corsair psu.

I was wondering if I can put an AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core on my motherboard. I read that this MB has am2/am2+ support and that the processor has to be a 95 watt one, and this cpu (from what I have read) has these specs.

So I would like to know if I could use these cpu on my actual setup or should I buy a new MB, CPU, MEMORY combo.

PS: I am on a low budget right now.

Thanks!

No you are going to need a new motherboard. Accoding to MSI's website it will only accept Athlon dual core "Kuma" processors. That CPU is a quad core, Propus and it is socket AM3.

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/K9N-SLI-V2.html#/?div=CPUSupport

logainofhades

Titan

Yea it looks like a new CPU, Motherboard, and Memory is in order. After buying a new CPU and a motherboard, ram isn't much more. Depending on your location, you might be able to get a fairly inexpensive upgrade at Microcenter. They have great in store deals on CPU and motherboard combos right now.