zyphen

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
so ive been having problems recently with games not running properly and not utilizing my graphics card properly. so ive spent about an hour today trying to fix it.

i finally fixed my problem by completely removing CCC (catalyst control center) and not games that were running horribly before run fine now!

for example skyrim high settings about 30 - 50 fps
after removing ccc skyrim ultra settings 50 - 90 fps

so basically the CCC wasnt detecting games so it would stay running at 2d mode only using less that half of the gpu power. removing this has freed the gpu and now runs good!

just posting this so if other are getting any problems :)

zyphen

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
yeah when i did use CCC i didnt really use the option inside of it because they affected my performance but yeah the ccc just didnt detect if i was playing a game or not so would run at its idle clock speeds of around 400 mhz and sometimes like 125mhz

COLGeek

Cybernaut
CCC doesn't "detect games". It is a management tool to allow you to configure your GPU. Also, the driver itself is part of the CCC package, but is a separate component. Sounds like you removed the CCC part, but the driver is still installed.

BTW, is your Windows installation fully up to date (with all updates/SPs installed)?

Kari

Splendid
dont know if this helps, but running flash apps, like some youtube vids (some use html5) in the browser or something, will limit the clocks at 400MHz... (it's a bug in adobe flash, newer versions shouldn't have it anymore)

though this wont explain getting stuck at the real idle clocks...

Kari

Splendid
^^920 shouldn't be too high, I've 5770 (basically the same card) running at 925 with stock voltage and it barely rised the temps at all...

though the mem oc is lot higher than mine (1245, stock 1200), beyond that the performance started to drop when the memory error correction system really kicked up and it had to do a lot of re-reads and whatnot. Didn't get any graphic artefacts or anything, just lower scores in benchmarks.

zyphen

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
"CCC doesn't "detect games"
thats what i thought but after researching a bit it obviously does have to decide weather to run in 2d it 3d mode. the rest of my system is up to date with the latest graphics drivers. my graphics card runs at about 50 degrees. and no my card was not factory OCed i did it myself (runs fine no artifacts or anything)

zyphen

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
ok maybe it doesnt exactly detect if you are playing a game but it changes between low performance (400 mhz) to high performance (920) depending on if you are playing a game. so in a way it does detect if you are running a game or a high intensity program which it wasnt doing on my card it was stuck at 400 mhz even tho i had overclocked it. i already had msi afterburner on my pc so i tried forcing max clock speeds which didnt work. so i removed CCC and what do you know it works like a charm now.

and no i am not trying to run a 3D display

COLGeek

Cybernaut

All of this describes the functions of the driver, not Catalyst. Catalyst lets you configure the driver, but that is pretty much it.

Still glad to see that reloading the drivers seems to habve helped you.

Good luck!