Cheap upgrade for core 2 duo

G

Hi,

I decided to upgrade my old pc a little to function as back up and HTPC. The new pc I made sadly died after 1 day of use and I had to RMA the board. Now I still have my old pc but it is a bit slow. What I thought is that it would be wise to upgrade it a little bit just to function as a back-up and maybe as a HTPC.

Currently it runs a E6300 1.86 Ghz processor, an HD3850 videocard and only 2 gigs of memory. Now i really want to keep this cheap because most of the time I will not be using this pc.

Heres what I thought I could buy :

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x2 GB

MSI H61M-P20 (G3)

Intel Pentium G2020 (new Ivy-Bridge Pentium processor)

Total cost for me : 112 euros and 59 cents

And very maybe a HD7750 although I don't mind playing games on low res so I should be fine with my old 3850. I only have a 350W PSU so I don't have that many options.

So I would like to know if it is compatible or should i maybe go for AMD for a budget upgrade? Hope you guys can help me.

Thank You,

logainofhades

Titan
That is definitely a nice, cheap upgrade to your old core 2 and would be considerably faster as well. Make sure that board has the necessary bios update to support Ivy. If there is an available bios, but it is not installed, you will have to have someone with a Sandy Bridge CPU install it in the board and update the bios. Otherwise, look for a H7x or Z7x based board.