Why is my computer stuttering?

My computer has a strange stutter that seems to happen somewhat randomly. It's like everything gets stuck for a second, like a skipping cd or broken record and then straightens itself out.

I'm fairly sure it's a hardware issue because movers dropped my computer. I opened it up and made sure everything was seated properly and I can't see what might be wrong. I ran a memory test and my RAM checked out as OK. Maybe the PSU is damaged? This is pretty frustrating because I don't know how to identify the source of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about computer stuttering
  1. Might be the HDD too if it was dropped.
  2. I use a SSD for my main drive. I do have an HDD, but it's just for backup files.

I'm not sure what I did, but the problem may be fixed, for now. I opened up the computer and double checked that everything was plugged in well, but I didn't notice anything wrong. However, the problem seems to be gone. I only tested for about 20 minutes though, so I think it's probably to soon to claim victory.
  3. I'm going to guess that it's your power supply if you have a case that's designed to place it on the bottom.
  4. It is placed at the bottom. However, the computer was dropped up-side down. Is there any way to test the integrity of the power supply using software?
  5. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this if anyone has any ideas at all.

So far, I've tried taking out the RAM sticks one at a time to see if either one was the problem. I've tried disconnecting my backup HDD and my optical drive, but the stuttering persists. Anyone know what would cause this?

Would a new PSU fix it? Do I need a new mobo? Any advice on how to troubleshoot it would be much appreciated.
  6. I guess I'll just live with it. :/
  7. GeneralChicken said:
    I guess I'll just live with it. :/

Give me all the details.
    I'll see what I can do.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Hardware Issue Systems