Athlon II or Phenom?

So AMD released the Athlon II X2 280 for $50. Would it be worth it to replace my Phenom 9600 X4 with that? Would I need a BIOS update to be able to use the Athlon?
5 answers Last reply
More about athlon phenom
  1. PlanetaryPenguin321 said:
    So AMD released the Athlon II X2 280 for $50. Would it be worth it to replace my Phenom 9600 X4 with that? Would I need a BIOS update to be able to use the Athlon?

Depends on what you are doing. Is the Athlon II better than the original Phenom's yes they are. Is it worth upgrading that is up to you and what you are doing.
  2. rds1220 said:
    Depends on what you are doing. Is the Athlon II better than the original Phenom's yes they are. Is it worth upgrading that is up to you and what you are doing.

I'd like to see better performance in gaming. If the game uses all 4 cores will the Phenom be faster than the Athlon II? I know in games with only 2 threads the Athlon will blow the Phenom out of the water.
  3. What are your overall computer specs and what games are you playing? Also what are your game settings at and your monitor resolution?

Overall the Athlon II will be better than the Phenom how much better I don't know, it will depend on the questions above. If you are trying to play BF3 or Skyrim or something like that than no the Athlon II won't blow the Phenom out of the water. It will be better but not as good as a more modern processor.
  4. rds1220 said:
    What are your overall computer specs and what games are you playing? Also what are your game settings at and your monitor resolution?

Overall the Athlon II will be better than the Phenom how much better I don't know, it will depend on the questions above. If you are trying to play BF3 or Skyrim or something like that than no the Athlon II won't blow the Phenom out of the water. It will be better but not as good as a more modern processor.

AMD Phenom 9600 X4 8GB DDR2 RAM GTX 650 Ti 400W PSU MCP61PM-GM Motherboard

Is it relatively easy to replace a motherboard? For $175 could I get a quad core Intel CPU/motherboard combo that can use my existing DDR2 RAM?
  5. rds1220 said:
    What are your overall computer specs and what games are you playing? Also what are your game settings at and your monitor resolution?

Almost forgot, I play just about anything so I need it to be decent all around. Preferred settings would be high detail 1920x1080 and at a minimal 30FPS.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS AMD Phenom