Radeon 7970 or Nvidia 680 + 550Ti for Physx

Joao Marcos

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Masters, here is thing. I already own a Nvidia 550Ti, however I want to get a way stronger card. I want all a card may give, like longevity, stability, speed and OC. At first I wanted to get a 7970 MSI Lightening, But my 550 will go to waste. I could get a 680 and let the 550 to do physx.

Is it really worth, since I already own an Nvidia card? Or I should get the Radeon?

What about peformance? I plan to use physx in some games if I have it.

My rig is pretty good and my PSU can take two cards fine.

The 7970 and 680 are about the same price in Brazil, where I live.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Solution
I would recommends a 7970 Ghz over a 670-680, it the faster card. Adaptive vsync and physx is not a big deal at all, and TXAA still needs more developers to jump on board as only one game supports it right now. The 7970 can be overclocked and needs to be as the kepler cards have autoboost, but once overclocked it will surpass the 680 in most games. A 384 bit bus width along with 3GB of vram on the 7970 should not be overlooked

3b82fa1c.png

d7e1ff51.png

1e42a4a9.png

These are stock 7970 results against autoboost keplers

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
So far there aren't many games that actually take advantage of PhysX. Not more than 10. And even if you play a game with PhysX the 680 should be able to handle it just fine, I mean it's powerful as hell.

Anyway, since you already have a 550ti just buy a GTX 680 and use the old card for PhysX. It won't hurt. The GTX 680 beats the 7970 (reference models) so if they're the same price- go with that.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
well physx is only used in a few games ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX ). if you play those games, it might be worth it, but if not it will just take up power and one of your pcie slots. i feel like the 680 should be enough to handle most any game depending on your resolution (which i assume is normal, not tri monitors, because of your current card). i mean i guess if you have those games you can try it out with the 550 ti, then without to see the performance gain. worst case scenario is it doesnt improve your performance enough to matter, then you could sell it and get some money back that you spent on the 680

You don't need much for dedicated physx and having a dedicated card will provide a small boost by taking the load off the main card if you get a 680. It does make more of a difference for those who's main card is weaker but in sli physx does have a nasty impact on sli scaling. So it is worth having but not really needed except for Mafia 2 and two or three other games.

Joao Marcos

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. Would anybody recomend a Radeon 7970 over a 680? Even if I have the 5550ti? There is one more thing to consider as well.

The 7970 is the MSI Lightning with all the goods in it, for about 1.800 I can get a 680 for about the same price, but it is EVGA, the reference model.

If I ge the MSI Lightning 680 the price goes up to 2000 bucks.

See the links:

http://www.terabyteshop.com.br/nvidia-geforce/placa-de-video-msi-geforce-gtx-680-lightning-2048mb-gddr5-pci-exp.ptml

http://www.terabyteshop.com.br/amd-radeon/placa-de-video-msi--radeon-hd-7970-lightning-3gb-gddr5-chdmi-pci-exp.ptml

See, the 7970 sold out! Hopefully I still got some weeks to decide.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
as long as you plan on using a single monitor even a reference gtx 680 should do the trick, if not a 670. if you plan on a 3 monitor setup, ive heard that the radeon cards are better at scaling for those large resolutions.

If you are even talking about playing games in PhysX, you really need to go with the GTX 680 or 670. The reference EVGA will do a great job as a standalone card in PhysX games, so you can sell the GTX 550. There are several upcoming PhysX titles coming out to look forward to that keep pushing the technology even further. Borderlands 2 for example.

All the cards you mention will perform about the same, but PhysX is one thing that clearly sets the 680/670 apart. You will also get lower power consumption and access to Adaptive VSync, FXAA, and TXAA as those games get released in the future.

redeemer

Distinguished
I would recommends a 7970 Ghz over a 670-680, it the faster card. Adaptive vsync and physx is not a big deal at all, and TXAA still needs more developers to jump on board as only one game supports it right now. The 7970 can be overclocked and needs to be as the kepler cards have autoboost, but once overclocked it will surpass the 680 in most games. A 384 bit bus width along with 3GB of vram on the 7970 should not be overlooked

3b82fa1c.png

d7e1ff51.png

1e42a4a9.png

These are stock 7970 results against autoboost keplers

Solution

Joao Marcos

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Ok, I got it. So, if I get the 7970 I will have to overclock it to match the 680 performance, right? I have been reading a lot and it really is a nice experience, I am trying not to wear a banner or flag though, but it is hard.

What about the MSI Lightning editions, would you guys recomend them? Or should I just get a reference card?

I still can not make my mind yet.

Joao Marcos

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I wish I could live in US, but I live in Brazil. My options are very limited. But I've pretty much decided for the Radeon, its pros weight a lot compared to the 680. Thanks a lot guys, you really helped, I mean it. I will wait september to get my Radeon, wait the MSI get back in stock actually.

I want to give you all best answers, rsrsrsr..

Thanks again.

redeemer

Distinguished

The problem is everyone compares a stock 7970 to a 680 that has autoboost 1200mhz lol, even then the 7970 manages to perform on par for the most part. Once you start to overclock the 7970 is wil beat a 680 in most games regardless of the 680's clocks speeds, and overclocking the 7970 is very simple more so than the 680. Just get a saphhire 7970Ghz dual fan or a Gigabyte Windforce model for quietness.

Joao Marcos

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah, I will do that. As I wrote before, down here in Brazil, I have few options, the best I got is the MSI which is out of stock right now. By the way, to OC the card I can use the software from MSI right? I really do not know how to do this. I have been reading about the bulldozer OC, but not the video card.

Can you help me with some instructions? Please.

redeemer

Distinguished

The best way to help yourself overclocking the 7970 is searching youtube. Just be careful not to go over 1.3V on the core, 1200Mhz should come easily with just 1.23v. Check temperatures make sure your temps are below 80 degrees, though I doubt you will require to overclock your card the 7970 is powerful enough. MSI, Gigabyte, Asus and Saphhire are my picks make sure its a Ghz version.

Joao Marcos

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Man, I will have to get it from the US. to get a Ghz version and to select better, I will do that, i will have to. Brazil is way behind the US about these things. Should I get from newegg, or amazon? Or other? I will send it to my friend's house and he will send it down here to me.

Thanks again, really appreciated.

redeemer

Distinguished

The Ghz version is preferred but not necessary, just get the regular 7970 or vanilla and you will be happy since they overclock well and little cheaper. If your buying from the US than go with Newegg.

TRENDING THREADS