Used i5-3570k for $198.11?

maxicusdagreat

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Hi I'm looking for an Intel Core i5-3570k for cheap. And I found one but it's used. It is from Amazon used "Like New." So, should I buy it?4

Thanks,
Max

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
The pins are on the motherboard, not on the CPU, although it could be burned. If it is fulfilled by amazon you have basically no risk - you can return it if it doesn't work. I would want to see much more savings before I risked it, if it was fulfilled directly by a third party instead.

There is actually one for $223 shipped and sold by Amazon on that same page.

For a processor, a 10% discount for a used item is not worth the risk to me unless I've absolutely known where it's been.

It's nice to know you have a full warranty as an original owner with a new item as well.

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I'd buy the "used" one on amazon or wait for a better price. The cheapest ones I see on amazon right are Amazon Warehouse deals, which has the same return support as amazon. I'd give it 50-50 that you'll get a completely unused, brand new processor that was a customer return from somebody with second thoughts (whether opened or unopened). Most of the rest of the time I'd expect it to be a working processor that just didn't overclock as much as whoever was returning it would expect, edit to add, or returned the processor when the motherboard or some other component was bad. Which is to say, Amazon warehouse deals for stuff like that is not used at all - it is customer returned or packaging damaged in the warehouse. (Some stuff actually is used - like video games, dvds, etc -stuff they buy back from you directly)

TRENDING THREADS