Sign in with
Your question

Fast upgrade needed for nvidia geforce4 mx 4000

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2012 3:22:24 PM

Hi:
Don't have resources at the moment to buy a new workstation but have a job to do right away that requires minimal but still, memory intensive video rendering.

Checking behind the scenes, it looks like I only have 64MB with the mx4000 and was wondering if I upgraded it within parameters of my box, say to 256MB, would that help any?

Looking at the dxdiag, I have an Intel Pentium(r) 4cpu, 2.53ghz with 2MB RAM.

It says under DAC TYPE: Integrated RAMDAC

Not sure if I'd realize any better performance with a subtle upgrade on this system but don't know enough about it all to be sure.

Any experienced thoughts on this would be GREATLY appreciated! I thank you in advance!

Bob
August 14, 2012 3:52:26 PM

bhp2000 said:
Hi:
Don't have resources at the moment to buy a new workstation but have a job to do right away that requires minimal but still, memory intensive video rendering.

Checking behind the scenes, it looks like I only have 64MB with the mx4000 and was wondering if I upgraded it within parameters of my box, say to 256MB, would that help any?

Looking at the dxdiag, I have an Intel Pentium(r) 4cpu, 2.53ghz with 2MB RAM.

It says under DAC TYPE: Integrated RAMDAC

Not sure if I'd realize any better performance with a subtle upgrade on this system but don't know enough about it all to be sure.

Any experienced thoughts on this would be GREATLY appreciated! I thank you in advance!

Bob

I'm replying because nobody else has. Mostly because in order for anyone to be able to help you they're going to need more information.

Are you able to determine the model information for your motherboard? If not do you know if your motherboard has a PCI-Express slot?

Do you know how much power your power supply is rated for?

Also are you sure you have 2MB of RAM and not 2GB?

If you're able to let people know specifically what program you're attempting to run that might help as well.
m
l
August 21, 2012 9:43:07 AM

ncasolo said:
I'm replying because nobody else has. Mostly because in order for anyone to be able to help you they're going to need more information.

Are you able to determine the model information for your motherboard? If not do you know if your motherboard has a PCI-Express slot?

Do you know how much power your power supply is rated for?

Also are you sure you have 2MB of RAM and not 2GB?

If you're able to let people know specifically what program you're attempting to run that might help as well.

ncasolo...

thanks for your input and you're right. not enough info and yes 2GB not 2MB....obviously rushing that day...

since that writing i was able to track down the guy who actually built this box about 4 or 5 years ago and he told me of the limitations even though it was ahead of its time (back then) and that i'd be better served with a recent workstation...rather than spending money on a temporary, so-so fix that will end up being a boat anchor anyway. i had to agree having been down this road in the past...

with that said, i'm on the hunt for same...

again, thanks for taking the time to offer advice and should i have future questions here i'll be sure to provide vivid details!

best regards, bob
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 21, 2012 11:12:20 AM

Since you didn't say anything about PCIe slot availability, I am assuming you don't know that info. Could you take a picture of inside the rig?

Also, what program are you using for renders? Afaik, video renders are most likely going to use CPU, not GPU (it depends on program though).
m
l
August 24, 2012 10:00:56 AM

Sunius

My apologies for not replying sooner but was away on business and
then jammed thereafter.

First thanks for the efforts to answer my queries.

Second, after tracking down the original builder of this box from 4-5 years ago, I've decided to keep this unit dedicated to my sound recording and other similar tasks and bite the bullet on a new workstation for heavy graphics/and basic video type work.

Again, thanks for the attempt in helping! Appreciated.

Bob
m
l
!