Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSI GT70-0NE Dragon Edition [Windows 8 Downgrade]

Last response: in CPUs
February 18, 2013 5:12:19 PM

Hi there;

My name is Nicholas, and I am very new to this community (just created my account). I am not sure if you are all familiar with the GT70 gaming laptop, but I am looking to downgrade it to a Window 7 computer, due to the fact that I think Windows 8 is completely horrible. It has 2x 128GB SSD, and a 512GB HDD of normal stature. I have tried to install Windows 7 already, but it said something about the partitioning not being compatible with my current installment. If I were to guess, I would suppose that the BIOS would be only compatible with Windows 8; therefore interfering with my wishes to downgrade.

Has anyone ever tried to downgrade this computer, or have heard about downgrading this type of computer?

Thank you so much,
Nicholas.
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 6:37:54 PM

It wants you to format the drive, some versions of 8 use a new file system that windows 7 cannot use, not NTFS but ReFS. The Bios controls the hardware not the software, windows is software. So I don't think that is the issue. Windows is 8 is windows 7 basically. And windows 7 is vista slightly improved. So you shouldn't have a problem there. When you install windows 7 you will loose all your old stuff because of the format.

If you want to avoid all that annoying stuff check out this link to see ways of making 8 look like 7.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/3-ways-to-tweak-...
m
l
February 18, 2013 10:17:08 PM

I really just want to go back to Windows 7; I have personally always preferred it. Actually, I did completely format the drive to attempt to install Windows 7 into my computer. Could you possibly blame the Raid 0? Thanks for the suggestion though.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 10:28:08 PM

The raid 0 should be configured In the bios. Windows should see it as 1 hd. If it doesn't you need the driver. Get a USB and load it with the driver I linked to bellow.

http://www.msi.com/service/download/nbdriver-19153.html

That is your intel rapid storage driver for raid.

The video below is for another raid configuration, but the install method is the same. You don't need to do the BIOS steps just the driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L--ByVvXqw

I understand that windows 8 is somewhat annoying at first. I have been using it since the preview stage and am just now warming up to it. It is faster than windows 7. But If you prefer 7 then go for it.
February 18, 2013 11:35:45 PM

Thank you so much, I will actually give that a go. That is actually how I got bootcamp installed on my iMac as well, by placing the drivers on the USB stick.

I will update on my progress.

EDIT: It seemed to have worked. Thank you so much.
m
l
February 19, 2013 1:17:42 PM

Best answer selected by Xiandri.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2013 6:32:35 PM

Xiandri said:
Best answer selected by Xiandri.

n
nIm glad that worked for you. Have fun! :bounce: 
m
l
July 10, 2013 2:41:30 PM

Hi Nicholas

I have the same sort of issue as you , I have a gt70 20d with 2x256 in raid 0 and want to install a new fresh copy of windows 7 pro.

did you mnage to get it installed ok ?
my mian worry is messing up the raid volume

i'm a newbie

please let me know how you got on and tell me what to look out for please

tks a lot

Craig

Xiandri said:
Hi there;

My name is Nicholas, and I am very new to this community (just created my account). I am not sure if you are all familiar with the GT70 gaming laptop, but I am looking to downgrade it to a Window 7 computer, due to the fact that I think Windows 8 is completely horrible. It has 2x 128GB SSD, and a 512GB HDD of normal stature. I have tried to install Windows 7 already, but it said something about the partitioning not being compatible with my current installment. If I were to guess, I would suppose that the BIOS would be only compatible with Windows 8; therefore interfering with my wishes to downgrade.

Has anyone ever tried to downgrade this computer, or have heard about downgrading this type of computer?

Thank you so much,
Nicholas.

m
l
!