Cooling an i5 3570K

G

HI All,
So I just swapped my older i3 2100 for a i5 3570K and I am noticing that these chips run much hotter then I am used to seeing (I guess it's normal, going from a dual core to a quad core, especially jumping from SB to IVB).

I'm not planning to overclock yet, but I do want to prepare and get a good cooler for this chip. I figured I spent $240 (out the door) I might as well be willing to throw a little more money into my PC and get a good cooler.

I've used the Coolermaster 212+ in the past, but I don't know, something about it never really felt solid to me. I'm currently using stock heatsink with IC 24K paste, and still seeing about 80 C when running IBT, but I guess for a stock fan it's not too terrible.

My budget for a cooling upgrade is about $50. I was thinking maybe I'd drop a little more and look at a H80 (my case won't support a H100) but I'm on the fence. What do you all suggest for good cooling on this chip? As I said, I have no plans to OC it just yet, but I want it running cooler than it is at the moment. I leave my PC on 24/7 so I really don't want too much fan noise. Hell, I already have too much with 3 antec tri-cool's on medium and the graphics card gets a little loud, but nothing too intolerable.

Thanks all!

OH, and my case is an Antec 300.

If you want performance like a H70, but only wanna pay for a H40. Then you should have a look at the Cooler Master Seidon 120m. It's a very low-cost and low-profile cooler.

MY max temperature on my i5-3570 went from 87 celsius to 59 celsius.

http://www.decryptedtech.com/enthusiast-peripherals/cooler-master-seidon-120m-all-in-one-water-cooler-review/Page-4.html - Here you can have a look at the performance.

I also tried making a review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOYJoRc1Ci8

You should consider checking it out. It's pretty good value. :)

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

how much do you get paid? :D

... just kidding, dont take it too seriously

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
You could just stick with the hyper 212+ if you still have it. I used it for my aging i7-920 with a small OC and it kept it at <40C idle, and 70-80C when i tested it with prime95. I recently switched to the Corsair H50 when i found a good price for it, and it works a little bit better under heavy load (<70C).

Either way, there are fans for the radiator in the closed loop solutions, and i would highly recommend using 2 for push/pull as when i just used 1 fan, the temps were actually worse than my hyper 212+, 2 fans improved the load temps by quite a bit.

Like the above person said, I'd go for an entry level liquid cooling solution. It's a bit quieter, and probably easier on the dust inside the case. (i remember my antec 300 was a dust magnet).

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

yeah, got that same thing with my scythe ninja 3 :ange:

but that really sounds like a marketing speech :lol:

G

I was thinking on re-using my older Scythe Raesetsu that I have on my AMD based system (which resides in a closet) but the issue is clearance. I have heat spreaders on my memory and I don't think the Raesetsu would work since it's a top down design with somewhat tall fins. I have a H50 sitting in the same closet, but I haven't used it in years and damned if I know where the mounting hardware is (a downfall of moving). I'll look into options on Newegg.com and place an order tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated on what I purchase. Thank you all for your help.

**Update** So I decided to kind of ghetto-rig my H50. I found the proper mounting bracket but I couldn't fnid those long screws for attaching through a fan. So I used some really tiny zip ties and used those to secure the fan to the radiator, and used a little of that IC 24K I had laying around and after some blue language and some grunting I got everything installed. So I am running about 72 C in Intel Burn in test (high settings, on Standard I hit about 67 C) and I 65 C after half an hour of Prime 95. Much better than I was expecting and considering I am using one fan and it is on medium settings (Tri-Cool's don't have great static pressure, they work but not as great as some of the more exotic/expensive fans. It's just making due with what I have.)

Now I guess, are these temps something worth bragging about? Or am I just lucky to have gotten this far? Ambient room temp is 24 C.