Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can Nvidia 600 series cards force TXAA and FXAA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2012 6:44:44 PM

I'm either going to be getting a 670 or a 660Ti soon, depends on how well the 3 Gb 660Ti's do. I'm just wondering if with Nvidia drivers (I'm using a 5850 atm) can you force FXAA and TXAA? I really like FXAA because I don't really notice any texture blurring in games and it gets rid of aliasing quite well. TXAA is supposed to be even better. So any help with this?
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 6:47:32 PM

Hi

You can force FXAA on in the nvidia control panel, Not sure about TXAA but I would imagine you can force that in the nvidia control panel aswell.
Score

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 6:58:22 PM

FXAA can be forced. TXAA is going to be a dev controlled AA method. No games have it yet, but when they do, it'll be controlled in game.
Related resources
August 14, 2012 7:02:31 PM

bystander said:
FXAA can be forced. TXAA is going to be a dev controlled AA method. No games have it yet, but when they do, it'll be controlled in game.
Well actually the new MMO The Secret World supports TXAA now. So what you mean by dev controlled is that TXAA has to be hardwired into the game for it to work? It won't be able to be forced even with future driver updates?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 7:07:07 PM

velazkid said:
Well actually the new MMO The Secret World supports TXAA now. So what you mean by dev controlled is that TXAA has to be hardwired into the game for it to work? It won't be able to be forced even with future driver updates?

Correct, TXAA is hard coded into the game and most likely will not be able to be "forced".
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 7:07:15 PM

velazkid said:

That is how it was described in the previews. The reason is that TXAA requires help from the code of the game. It must need certain bits of info. FXAA is a post-process AA, much like MLAA that AMD has (though it seems better, but I haven't tried MLAA 2.0), and doesn't require help from the game code.

Edit: I'll be interested in seeing how TXAA is in that game. I wonder if there is any reviews on it yet.
Score
August 14, 2012 7:18:42 PM

That's unfortunate, guess I'll stick with FXAA until TXAA get's more common, Hopefully it will be in Crysis 3. COnsidering how awesome it is anybody making a PC game right now would be silly not to put TXAA support in the game. Being able to play A new Crysis game with high quality AA without it eating up 20-30 FPS would be so sweet.

Also, if you want to look at TXAA in The Secret World Nvidia already did an overview article on it, Quite nice.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-wo...
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 7:23:32 PM

velazkid said:
That's unfortunate, guess I'll stick with FXAA until TXAA get's more common, Hopefully it will be in Crysis 3. COnsidering how awesome it is anybody making a PC game right now would be silly not to put TXAA support in the game. Being able to play A new Crysis game with high quality AA without it eating up 20-30 FPS would be so sweet.

Also, if you want to look at TXAA in The Secret World Nvidia already did an overview article on it, Quite nice.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-wo...

Thanks for the link. It appears to be just what I've wanted in an AA mode. It fixes aliasing around edges and in textures (like SSAA does). The only thing not shown was how benchmarks will be. Hopefully it doesn't induce a big hit on FPS like SSAA (I assume it won't as that was the selling point).
Score
a c 592 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 385 Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 7:32:28 PM

I think things will get exciting once TXAA starts to get out there in more games.
Score
August 14, 2012 11:29:58 PM

Best answer selected by velazkid.
Score
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2012 1:02:27 AM

bystander said:
Thanks for the link. It appears to be just what I've wanted in an AA mode. It fixes aliasing around edges and in textures (like SSAA does). The only thing not shown was how benchmarks will be. Hopefully it doesn't induce a big hit on FPS like SSAA (I assume it won't as that was the selling point).

the main of TXAA is to have better AA with less performance hit. at least that's what nvidia claim about TXAA

Quote:
At present, TXAA is available in two varieties: TXAA 2x, and TXAA 4x. TXAA 2x offers visual fidelity on par with 8xMSAA, with performance similar to 2xMSAA, while TXAA 4x offers image fidelity superior to 8xMSAA, with a performance impact comparable to 4xMSAA.

http://www.geforce.com/landing-page/txaa
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 16, 2012 1:25:53 AM

That's what I had heard to, which is why I had said "(I assume it won't as that was the selling point)".
Score
a c 592 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 385 Î Nvidia
August 16, 2012 4:56:07 AM

A good rundown on TXAA. Apparently it will be used in Borderlands 2 and possibly Crysis 3, as well as whatever game Epic is working on.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22735/3
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 16, 2012 5:51:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!