Your question

Corsair CX500 enough?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Corsair
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 18, 2013 8:23:38 PM

Hi! I have built a computer that I will be using for gaming, and I need a power supply to go with it. I want to get the cheapest power supply, but I also want to get a Corsair one as I know that these are good quality PSUs. My question is, that will a CX500 V2 PSU be good enough for my system? I won't be overclocking or upgrading any time soon, if not at all! Here are my specs:
i5 2320 3GHz
P8H61-LX
Corsair XMS3 8GB 1333MHz
Asus GTX 560 Ti 2GB
500GB hard drive
DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
Any help? Thanks :D 

More about : corsair cx500

February 18, 2013 8:33:35 PM

Should be...double check on the box to your video card it should say a minimum recomended wattage for power supplies. But I think you should be fine 500W is fine for almost any rig not running SLI or Crossfire.
February 18, 2013 8:44:00 PM

roaddoc326 said:
Should be...double check on the box to your video card it should say a minimum recomended wattage for power supplies. But I think you should be fine 500W is fine for almost any rig not running SLI or Crossfire.

On the box it says "Minimum 500W", thanks for the reply :D 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 8:51:18 PM

The 560 ti requires a 500W psu with two 6 pin pcie connectors and with ~31A on it's +12v rail, the CX500 has 38A on the +12v rail and two pcie connectors, it has more than enough juice for it, even with the gpu oc.
February 18, 2013 8:52:08 PM

Awesome, thanks! :D 
a c 137 ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 9:07:29 PM

djangoringo said:
The 560 ti requires a 500W psu with two 6 pin pcie connectors and with ~31A on it's +12v rail, the CX500 has 38A on the +12v rail and two pcie connectors, it has more than enough juice for it, even with the gpu oc.

You'll have to pardon our esteemed collegue (above) He inadvertantly posted incorrect power requirements.

The 560TI is appromately a 150w part (12.5a on the 12v rail) and ~300w for a pair in SLI.

You should see that you will be more than fine with a 500w Corsair even if you were to add in another.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 9:10:18 PM

This is the total recommend not just the 560 ti power consumption.
And i wouldn't recommend doing a SLI setup of 560 ti on a 500W psu with 38A.
February 28, 2013 4:54:32 PM

bouncedk said:
The CX is overpriced garbage and its only rated at 30c... a cheaper XFX power supply (core edition pro) made by Seasonic would be a far far better choice. Rated at 50c. Quie the difference

The Corsair name is not a guantee for top quality anymore. I would never use a CX on a gaming rig, not in a million years.

Would you like to reccommend a better power supply for about £30-£50? I need one with Active PFC, and voltage protections as the voltage in my plug sockets like to fluctuate :p 
a c 137 ) Power supply
February 28, 2013 9:21:37 PM

calpol55 said:
...as the voltage in my plug sockets like to fluctuate :p 

You should purchase a UPS in addition to your PSU.
March 1, 2013 11:04:11 AM

popatim said:
You should purchase a UPS in addition to your PSU.

What's a good/recommended UPS, that's cheap (I'm on a tight budget)? :) 
March 1, 2013 3:31:24 PM

Js the CX500 only has 34A on the +12V Rail...
March 1, 2013 8:57:26 PM

djangoringo said:
The CX500 is decent and it will do for the 560 ti, but bouncedk has a point, the xfx 550 core edition is just ~2-3£ and it's a seasonic oem psu, the corsair cx is from the entry series of the corsair psus and it's made by channel well.
You can find it here : http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp...
or in other stores : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550s...

Wow, that one actually looks pretty amazing! Thanks for the reccommendation, I'll actually get this one instead! I've noticed that this power supply said that it would, clean, dirty power, if this does work with dirty power, then I wouldn't need to get a USP, is this true?
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2013 9:35:39 PM

"Power drawn from your AC outlet is typically dirty with voltage spikes and fluctuations, which can harm vital PC components. XFX PSUs are designed to deliver tight DC voltage regulation with minimal AC ripple, giving you safer, cleaner power."

Any decent psu will do that.
March 1, 2013 9:36:53 PM

djangoringo said:
"Power drawn from your AC outlet is typically dirty with voltage spikes and fluctuations, which can harm vital PC components. XFX PSUs are designed to deliver tight DC voltage regulation with minimal AC ripple, giving you safer, cleaner power."

Any decent psu will do that.

Ah right, well that explains why my other cheap power supplies exploded on me :p  Thanks :D 
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2013 9:38:01 PM

More one the xfx clean power :

"-Haha, no. That's not how this works. You do not plug your CPU directly into the wall. Every power supply filters the incoming AC to some extent, even the cheap ones, and that's before the secondary side even gets started with it. The filtering on the secondary side is there primarily to kill the AC ripple from the side effects of switchmode power supply design. A good unit will not have much "dirty" left from the AC line by the time the power goes into the secondary, let alone the wires that go out to your computer's components."
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

So it's not only the xfx psus that offer "clean power" any quality psu will give the same results.
March 2, 2013 3:29:10 PM

djangoringo said:
More one the xfx clean power :

"-Haha, no. That's not how this works. You do not plug your CPU directly into the wall. Every power supply filters the incoming AC to some extent, even the cheap ones, and that's before the secondary side even gets started with it. The filtering on the secondary side is there primarily to kill the AC ripple from the side effects of switchmode power supply design. A good unit will not have much "dirty" left from the AC line by the time the power goes into the secondary, let alone the wires that go out to your computer's components."
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

So it's not only the xfx psus that offer "clean power" any quality psu will give the same results.

Ah, I'll still buy that one, is it better than the CX500, because that had some bad reviews, if I remember?
a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2013 4:50:54 PM

The XFX 550 Core edition is a seasonic oem psu, the cx is the entry level series of the corsair psus made by channel well, the xfx has better quality components, but the cx is decent(there's nothing wrong with it), but since the xfx is almost at the same price, i'd grab the xfx psu.
March 2, 2013 11:01:38 PM

djangoringo said:
The XFX 550 Core edition is a seasonic oem psu, the cx is the entry level series of the corsair psus made by channel well, the xfx has better quality components, but the cx is decent(there's nothing wrong with it), but since the xfx is almost at the same price, i'd grab the xfx psu.