Corsair CX500 enough?

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hi! I have built a computer that I will be using for gaming, and I need a power supply to go with it. I want to get the cheapest power supply, but I also want to get a Corsair one as I know that these are good quality PSUs. My question is, that will a CX500 V2 PSU be good enough for my system? I won't be overclocking or upgrading any time soon, if not at all! Here are my specs:
i5 2320 3GHz
P8H61-LX
Corsair XMS3 8GB 1333MHz
Asus GTX 560 Ti 2GB
500GB hard drive
DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
Any help? Thanks :D

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Should be...double check on the box to your video card it should say a minimum recomended wattage for power supplies. But I think you should be fine 500W is fine for almost any rig not running SLI or Crossfire.

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

On the box it says "Minimum 500W", thanks for the reply :D

The 560 ti requires a 500W psu with two 6 pin pcie connectors and with ~31A on it's +12v rail, the CX500 has 38A on the +12v rail and two pcie connectors, it has more than enough juice for it, even with the gpu oc.

popatim

Titan

You'll have to pardon our esteemed collegue (above) He inadvertantly posted incorrect power requirements.

The 560TI is appromately a 150w part (12.5a on the 12v rail) and ~300w for a pair in SLI.

You should see that you will be more than fine with a 500w Corsair even if you were to add in another.

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Would you like to reccommend a better power supply for about £30-£50? I need one with Active PFC, and voltage protections as the voltage in my plug sockets like to fluctuate :p

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

What's a good/recommended UPS, that's cheap (I'm on a tight budget)? :)

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Wow, that one actually looks pretty amazing! Thanks for the reccommendation, I'll actually get this one instead! I've noticed that this power supply said that it would, clean, dirty power, if this does work with dirty power, then I wouldn't need to get a USP, is this true?

"Power drawn from your AC outlet is typically dirty with voltage spikes and fluctuations, which can harm vital PC components. XFX PSUs are designed to deliver tight DC voltage regulation with minimal AC ripple, giving you safer, cleaner power."

Any decent psu will do that.

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Ah right, well that explains why my other cheap power supplies exploded on me :p Thanks :D

More one the xfx clean power :

"-Haha, no. That's not how this works. You do not plug your CPU directly into the wall. Every power supply filters the incoming AC to some extent, even the cheap ones, and that's before the secondary side even gets started with it. The filtering on the secondary side is there primarily to kill the AC ripple from the side effects of switchmode power supply design. A good unit will not have much "dirty" left from the AC line by the time the power goes into the secondary, let alone the wires that go out to your computer's components."
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=216

So it's not only the xfx psus that offer "clean power" any quality psu will give the same results.

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Ah, I'll still buy that one, is it better than the CX500, because that had some bad reviews, if I remember?

The XFX 550 Core edition is a seasonic oem psu, the cx is the entry level series of the corsair psus made by channel well, the xfx has better quality components, but the cx is decent(there's nothing wrong with it), but since the xfx is almost at the same price, i'd grab the xfx psu.

calpol55

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012