Silent Pro gold 1000 w 24 pin wire missing

Epitagh

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Alright, so, long story short.

I bought a silent pro gold 1000w a year ago around christmas for my personal computer. Overkill, but I like future proofing. Well, I plug it into my uncle's power supply tester, the thing melts the eight pin of his tester. So we obviously sent it in to be replaced. Get a refurbished one. The thing stutters on and off and refuses stay on. Return that one as well. While I was waiting for a new one to come in. I bought an Antec 900w which worked and set the Cooler Master model aside until I would need it. When I decide to build a home server, I buy all the parts for my server but the power supply since I figure that since everyone swears by that power supply, surely the third one will work.

I get home with my parts, set up the power supply to test it. Refuses to turn on. I try a few different eight pins and finally take a look at the 24 pin, and one of the pins is hollow. So of course, my first thought it, did I accidently tear it out. No, the wire that should go to that plug from what I see, doesn't exist at all. So one of the middle pins is completely hollow with no wire running to it.

Is this normal? My Antec isn't like that and this one refuses to start. I am not sure if I should be upset or not just yet or if this is user error.

Epitagh

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
This isn't Pin 20 from what I can tell. I would assume Pin 20 is on one of the corners. This one is in the middle, third from the top right. I have heard about pin 20, but this wasn't the one missing from the diagrams I have found. if I had to guess based on this diagram, its pin 18, between the red wire and black wire.

The pin labeled NC (i.e. Not Connected) in this image of an ATX 24-pin main power connector:
250px-ATX_PS_signals.svg.png

Epitagh

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
And that diagram looks different then the one I was looking at. Though I will admit I am not sure if I am reading it right. From the looks of the diagram, that is a 24 pin with an extra 4 pin for 28. But since I assume that is meant to be a 20 + the 4 pin. Then it does look like the one I have, but then I don't understand why the 4 pin is labeled again seperatly.

Thank you for the help though I do appreciate it.

The 4-pin connector in the diagram I posted is the 4-pin CPU power connector. It is not part of the 24-pin ATX main power connector.