Sign in with
Your question

Spphire HD 7850 Bottlenecking....!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2012 9:02:34 PM

Hi guys,

I am thinking of upgrading my PC..........!!! It is going to be a 2 phase upgrade.
Phase 1: GPU + PSU
Phase 2: CPU + Mobo + RAM

Right now I am gonna buy Sapphire HD 7850 2GB OC edition and Thermal-take Smart 650W modular PSU.........!!! It is going take a month or two to but the Phase-2 stuffs.

My Current Configuration:

CPU: C2D E4400 2GHz

Mobo: Intel DG965RY

RAM: 4Gb 800bus DDR2

Monitor: Samsung 20" (Res: 1680*1050)

My question is: How much bottlenecking am i gonna get while running the HD 7850 with C2D processor? Will I be able to play games, like: LA Noire, Max Payne 3, AC 3 at medium settings without any lagging..............???
August 14, 2012 9:57:37 PM

The best suggestion I can give you is to hold on to your money and see if you can get any sort of combination deal in the future. Upgrading piece by piece isn't the best way to go in my opinion but some others see it differently which I respect.
As for bottle necking, the E4400 is going to hold you back a little in some games and heavily in others like Metro 2033 for instance - It definitely depends on what you play but at that resolution I can't imagine that it would be too bad of a bottleneck on most games.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 9:58:35 PM

I'm not very positive with your upgrade, I'm pretty sure it will bottleneck pretty hard. You may still play those games in highest settings because it will bottleneck less though...

If say, you upgrade to an i5-2500k. You will get much better performance. So, go ahead and get the 7850, since you're upgrading later. But just be prepared that you will not get the best out of the 7850!.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2012 10:37:39 PM

Thank you guys for replying so quickly...............!!!

It really comforts me to know that at least i can get on with it for a while............!!!

If you are to categorize games that will be lagged, such as: Metro 2033.......could you name some other game titles............???
m
l
August 14, 2012 11:40:49 PM

Crysis would probably hit a pretty hard bottleneck, Metro 2033, a few CPU intensive games like some RTS style games that have thousands of armies spawned at once.
Battlefield 3 would get hit fairly hard but not to the point where it's dragging you completely down. GTA 4 you would have a serious stutter problem, game definitely requires a decent processor. Skyrim but only in crowded areas with lots of NPC's.
MMO's as well, when you're in cities and there are alot of characters around but most have an option to change the graphical setting once you hit a city.

All in all it's nothing to be overly concerned about, it will still work but of course not to the GPU's peak potential. You should consider saving up all of your money at once and building new but if going one piece at a time is what you want that's fine too.
m
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 11:59:20 PM

Thermaltake power supplies range in quality from very bad to downright dangerous to your other components. Don't buy one unless it's the only brand available to you.

Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ or Antec.
m
l
August 15, 2012 6:36:53 PM

I have the option of buying: Gigabyte an In Win PSUs'..................!!!
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:35:31 AM

Look for OCZ if you don't plan on SLI/CFX or flagship cards.
They're a sort of middle of the road for PSU's, reliable with a nice price but aren't the best on the 12v rail. Wont get the full potential from two high end cards depending on what model you buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I suggest this one.
m
l
a c 195 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 6:51:33 AM

Yea....thats going to bottleneck hard. I would wait till you have more cashola so you can build yourself a whole new computer. If you do buy it you are not going to be able to harness all the power of the 7850.

If you upgrade the rest of your computer and have the power supply for the card, then you can go for it if you want.

If you want to wait though, you can eventually get the 7850 for cheap and be able to upgrade your components.
m
l
a c 195 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:47:44 PM

That is a perfect power supply for that card and your computer. It will last you through many upgrades.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 6:31:54 PM

Just to offer another opinion, Thermaltake PSU's arent bad. I've used them twice in my own personal builds and several times in builds for others. While I have had 1 fail on my prematurely (18 months of use 24/7) thermaltake offers great warrantys (I believe 5 years on toughpower PSU's). There customer service was excellent when I contacted them. All it took was an email, they responded within 24 hours asking for my receipt. After sending a picture to them they told me they no longer made the exact model 750 watt I was running so offered me an 850 watt as a replacement. I accepted, they had it in the mail the next day and it got to me about 3 days later. This was about 2 years ago and the replacement 850 watt has been running 24/7 ever since with no issues.
m
l
August 16, 2012 7:03:29 PM

Okay, thank you all for your informational contributions............!!! I appreciate it very much............!!! Now as these things are sorted out, i have one last question.

Now, i use Windows 7 and have 4gb DDR2 800MHz RAM + 9400GT GPU. If i try to run FIFA12, the game lags which doesn't occur on WIndows XP.

SO do you guys think that adding HD 7850 would let me stay with Win7 or do I have to switch back to Win XP.................!!!
m
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 8:55:42 PM

AdioKIP said:
Just to offer another opinion, Thermaltake PSU's arent bad. I've used them twice in my own personal builds and several times in builds for others. While I have had 1 fail on my prematurely (18 months of use 24/7) thermaltake offers great warrantys (I believe 5 years on toughpower PSU's). There customer service was excellent when I contacted them. All it took was an email, they responded within 24 hours asking for my receipt. After sending a picture to them they told me they no longer made the exact model 750 watt I was running so offered me an 850 watt as a replacement. I accepted, they had it in the mail the next day and it got to me about 3 days later. This was about 2 years ago and the replacement 850 watt has been running 24/7 ever since with no issues.

Thermaltake power supplies range from great to crap to downright dangerous to your PC. They have the distinction of making some of the worst power supplies on the market with the TR2 and TR2 RX line.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

You said it yourself.....you have used them twice and one failed. So why the hell would you offer advice to buy one?? I bet that wonderful customer service would not have been as wonderful if that failing unit had taken your motherboard and GPU with it when it had failed.

Ok so they have a few models that don't suck but they have more OEMs than any other seller I know of. They sell power supplies made by CWT, HEC, FSP, Solytech, Sirtec and Enhance Electronics. So there is bound to be some decent models among the junk. CWT in particular makes some great units and they make most of Corsair's power supplies. In general Thermaltake quality is all over the place and for that reason I would never recommend them.
m
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 9:05:20 PM

novoid69 said:
Okay, thank you all for your informational contributions............!!! I appreciate it very much............!!! Now as these things are sorted out, i have one last question.

Now, i use Windows 7 and have 4gb DDR2 800MHz RAM + 9400GT GPU. If i try to run FIFA12, the game lags which doesn't occur on WIndows XP.

SO do you guys think that adding HD 7850 would let me stay with Win7 or do I have to switch back to Win XP.................!!!

There is NO reason to go back to XP. Microsoft is ending all support next year including security updates.

A 7850 will be a huge upgrade to a 9400GT but as has been said your processor is a huge bottleneck. Even a cheap upgrade to a more modern higher speed dual core Pentium G or i3 would let you play more modern games. A 2Ghz Core2 just does not do it for gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:11:58 PM

anort3 said:
Thermaltake power supplies range from great to crap to downright dangerous to your PC. They have the distinction of making some of the worst power supplies on the market with the TR2 and TR2 RX line.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

You said it yourself.....you have used them twice and one failed. So why the hell would you offer advice to buy one?? I bet that wonderful customer service would not have been as wonderful if that failing unit had taken your motherboard and GPU with it when it had failed.

Ok so they have a few models that don't suck but they have more OEMs than any other seller I know of. They sell power supplies made by CWT, HEC, FSP, Solytech, Sirtec and Enhance Electronics. So there is bound to be some decent models among the junk. CWT in particular makes some great units and they make most of Corsair's power supplies. In general Thermaltake quality is all over the place and for that reason I would never recommend them.

Even the link you provided has the Toughpower 600 or greater as a Tier 2 part which isnt bad. The ones less than 600 watt are listed as Tier 3. As far as why I would recommend even after having 1 failure, simply because I've been building computers for over 20 years and I know that parts fail. To have had 1 fail out more than 6 that i've used / installed isnt bad at all and the handling of the warranty /customer service were excellent. As many systems as I've built, if 1 failure was enough for me to completely dismiss a company than that would pretty much eliminate all brands for me since over the years I've been building computers I've seen parts from pretty much every company fail at one point or another.
m
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 8:15:32 PM

AdioKIP said:
Even the link you provided has the Toughpower 600 or greater as a Tier 2 part which isnt bad. The ones less than 600 watt are listed as Tier 3. As far as why I would recommend even after having 1 failure, simply because I've been building computers for over 20 years and I know that parts fail. To have had 1 fail out more than 6 that i've used / installed isnt bad at all and the handling of the warranty /customer service were excellent. As many systems as I've built, if 1 failure was enough for me to completely dismiss a company than that would pretty much eliminate all brands for me since over the years I've been building computers I've seen parts from pretty much every company fail at one point or another.

1 out of 6 huh. I have had 1 Corsair fail out of over 50. And it was a CX series. Never had a Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or an XFX fail at all.
m
l
!