DJEvvo

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I bought a brand new HD6770 and my PC does not believe that it exists.

I removed my old card and ran DriverSweeper to remove all my old drivers.

I physically installed my 6770, firmly seating it in the PCI-E slot where my old card used to live, and plugging in the required 6-pin power supply from my more-than-necessary 700W PSU.

I plugged my monitor into the VGA port and turned my PC on. Nothing. Although, the fan on the 6770 spins.

After plugging my monitor into the motherboard, I find that device manager shows no display adapters other than the onboard Intel chipset. I tried pre-installing the drivers through Catalyst. I tried disabling my onboard chipset. I have checked that the amps, racks, and whatnots on my PSU are sufficient. I made sure that my PCI-E slot was selected as my primary graphics source in the BIOS. I checked for an update for my BIOS. I tried updating my motherboard drivers. While the motherboard update made my onboard chip run a lot better than my old card did, I still find no trace of a 6770 in my device manager, and I get no video at all through the card's VGA output.

Have I bought a dead card? Or is my motherboard just being a prat?

It's a ConRoe 945G-DVI

I can obtain any further information about the system if it would help. Thanks...

Newt5

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
There are jumper settings on your motherboard that determine where your graphics are sourced from. (A physical piece on your motherboard.) It may have been removed or its position changed.

VGA is an analog output, which isn't hot-pluggable, meaning that you can't plug it in when the system is on. If you did, you may have shorted out the port.

And for the sake of including everything I can think of, you may have not changed the input on your monitor to VGA.

Hope this helps!

DJEvvo

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hmm...

I have no idea where the jumpers are located on my motherboard, and I don't remember seeing any when I installed the card. The monitor is VGA only so that can't be the problem.

I have noticed a BIOS update on my motherboard manufacturor's website, offering 'Support for the Radeon HD 5xxx series', also listed on Techspot more specifically as 'Support for the Radeon HD 5770'.

I think I may be right in assuming the 5770 is simply an older version of my 6770, and if the BIOS didn't support the 5770, there's pretty much zero chance it would support my new card.

So this must be promising, right?

I am aware that BIOS updates have the potential to destroy the universe or bring extinction to mankind or whatever, but I am confident this update is specifically for my exact motherboard. Should I go ahead?

DJEvvo

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Situation resolved!

Anybody sporting an AsRock ConRoe 945G-DVI will require the 2.0 BIOS update (on AsRock's website) in order to utilise the Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx series of GPUs.

I hope this helps some other fellow like myself and they don't have to waste eight days exploring every other avenue, like I did.

Thankyou for all your advice. While I suppose I solved this one myself, any words of wisdom from people who know what they are talking about are massively appreciated.