Xbox 720 vs gaming PC?

Smith Smile

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I am building a pc soon and I read some articles about the xbox 720, so im wondering if I should wait for the zbox 720 or should I just build the pc. I am of course looking to which one will preform better with strong graphic games.

Game PC Specs:

Cpu: amd fx 6300

GPU: gigabyte gtx 660 (non-ti)

Motherboard: http://www.frys.com/product/6821096?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

CD burner: some regular 20$ one

HDD: 500 gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache

RAM: 8 gb

the leaked 720 specs I read are from:
http://bostinno.com/2013/02/16/xbox-720-release-date-next-xbox-is-coming-heres-what-we-know-photos/#ss__298437_271816_0__ss

Xbox 720 specs from above website:
8 CPU cores at 1.6GHz, with a custom 800MHz graphics processor in the GPU. There are 8GB of RAM on board, with 32MB of fast embedded SRAM at double the throughput speed, and a 50GB-capable 6x Blu-ray drive. Wireless connectivity protocols include both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct, and there’s still a Gigabit Ethernet port for gamers with low latency multiplayer demands. It’ll also come with USB 3.0 and HDMI 1.4a, which supports 3D over HDMI, Ethernet, audio return channels and 4K resolution.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

IMO In all likelihood, your build will perform better than the hypothetical xbox - no contest. Your GTX 660 alone costs as much as the xbox probably will on release. If you're looking only in the category of graphics performance, no console will even be worth looking at.

Smith Smile

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
So the specs of the pc Im building should be better than the leaked specs of the xbox 720? I know that the xbox 720 leaked specs might be the true specs of the one that will come out, I am just wondering.
Thanks in advance :)

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
You are going about it wrong instead of comparing specs from a Xbox 720 and PC you need to look at the platform and what it offers that interests you. Although speculating since we don't know what the new Xbox will offer in the hardware department you just can't compare the two it's a whole different experience. The current console's and I'm sure even the new Xbox/PS can't offer the gaming experience that a PC can offer - to name a few games like Arma, Total War series, Eve Online, Guild Wars etc,.... and mod's available for some of those games that a console system can't provide. This is of course my opinion, when the 360 came out I bought one mostly due to my friend's bugging me to get one to play with them - played it some then it just ended up being a media center that I would use to extend movies to from my PC, if it wasn't used for that it just sat and collected dust. A mouse and keyboard feel more natural and better for me compared to a controller not to mention the community and games are just better.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
From a writing on PCGamer: "This is where Sony have spent the big bucks: allegedly nabbing AMD’s current Graphics Core Next (GCN) technology and creating a bespoke GPU with 18 GCN compute units for a total of 1152 Radeon cores. The HD 7850 may be a close comparison, packing 16 GCN units and 1024 cores itself. To be safe, a GeForce GTX 660 should do the trick."

Exactly the GPU you're using ;)

Smith Smile

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

lol, nice coincidence, though I was expecting the pc build to be better than any console. When I when I searching yahoo answers for which graphics card compares to a ps3, people put cards that cost 70$ (very low end).
Thanks, I really appreciate it :)