New hard drive boot failure

Darrinos

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hello,
Replaced sata hard drive, and now when booting up I get message in bios that there is no optical drive. Kinda need that since I have no OS on this computer, but also getting message on boot up of media test failure, check cable. It is a nearly new cable to the monitor. I barely know what i am doing here. Someone please help!

you unplugged or snapped the sata port for the cd-rom drive. check that both the hard drive and cd-rom have sata data and power on the back of the device. then make sure both the hard drive and cd-rom are conected to sata port 0 and sats port 1 on the mb.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Media test failure? That's your hard drive, it doesn't have an OS loaded so it can't boot. Has nothing to do with your display. As for your CD rom, it should be recognized by the bios. You need to press the key for boot options and select the CD/DVD drive that has your windows disk. Usually this is f10 on boot, you should see the key press listed by the bios.

If you don't see the CD/DVD drive you probably disconnected it's cables, check to see if it is connected with a power cable and a sata cable. Same with your hard drive.

Is this your first time working on a computer?