New computer build randomly freezing requiring cold reboot

dannycav

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hey everyone, i need help desperately.

Monday, my custom build came in from newegg. I built it, started it up, installed all the drivers and ever since its been randomly freezing (the screen just totally freezes where it is, i cant use the mouse or keyboard. actually, sometimes it starts out all the windows 7 buttons freeze first, like the start button and what not, then the mouse freezes. sometimes ive gotten a loading cursor but i still have to cold reboot.) This really bums me out, because it was my first build and first gaming pc. Anyway, ive been doing alot of looking around and ive found alot of people with the same problem, and everything that was suggested to them hasn't helped me. I know its not my hard drive because the HDD Indicator light still flashes after the computer freezes. My PSU wattage is way over what is needed for my system, my temperatures are all under 50c, and all my video drivers are up to date. This leads me to believe that its my RAM. Ive tested both ram sticks separately with memtest and no problems are found. Eventually i contacted G.Skill and they told me to change some bios settings in order for my APU to work with my RAM smoothly. I did everything they recommended and nothing helped the freezing. Ive heard re-installing windows doesnt work but i havent tried it myself, i alread have about 100GB of games installed and i dont want to loose them if it wont work anyway. So, i figure its either my motherboard or RAM. Im stopping by fri's tomarrow and im wondering how i can make sure what the problem is in my system so i can fix it. Please note that on the ASRock website it says my RAM isnt compatible with my Motherboard, but on the GSkill website it says the RAM i have is compatible with AMD APU's. SO confused!!!! Thanks for the help!

tl;dl: New build keeps freezing, i think its the RAM but i need to be sure. recommend some things to fix the problem or new parts to replace the faulty ones in my system causing the freeze.

SPECS:
ASRock P55 Pro3
AMD APU A8 3870k
Saphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB
Corsair CX500
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1866 Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s