Sign in with
Your question

2 low end or 1 mid end

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2012 10:24:18 PM

i am finally doing a custom build computer and i would like to know something.

i want to know if i should either get 2 nvidia geforce gtx550 ti cards and run them in sli OR get 1 high or mid range card.

i know that the memory doesnt stack in sli or crossfire but it does split the screen in half so one runs the top half and the other runs the bottom or something to that effect. i just cant decide what i should do.

it will be for gaming. i eventually would like to overclock, or try at least. here are the other components for the computer im building.

CASE= ==Thermaltake VL200L1W2Z NVIDIA Edition Black and Green Lining ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case

MOTHERBOARD=== GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU=== AMD FX 1820(getting that because there is almost no performance difference between the 8120 and 8150 until you overclock)

MEMORY=== PATRIOT VIPER 3 16 GB 1866

CPU FAN===Thermaltake WATER2.0 Performer Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU cooler

VIDEO=== DEBATING 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

I plan on getting a liquid cooler for my video card also down the road even if it doesn't need it. i just want my first custom computer to look awesome.

if there are any suggestions to what i should do with my video, please let me know. (try and keep it under $350)

More about : low end mid end

August 14, 2012 10:44:15 PM

What PSU are you planning on using? If it were me I'd probably go for a mid to high level card, and a year down the road or so get a second one, assuming your PSU can handle it.

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 - $319.99 isn't a bad choice IMO.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 10:46:17 PM

Go for a single card. You'll get better performance.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2012 10:52:13 PM

I would get one high level card vs two lower cards. It will open the door up to upgrades down the road, so you can get a second one when you need it. Just make sure there's room on your motherboard for two cards and they will get enough air flow. If your planning on water cooling why not get real water cooling for your CPU and until then just use a cheaper air cooler. For the video card I would recommend the gtx 670, or if that's to much I think the 660 will come out soon, but I wouldn't get a 500 series when the 600 are starting to come out, unless you can get a rally good deal on a really high end one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 11:01:39 PM

get the single card.

There is less complexity, and if you look at driver release notes you will see that there are always extra bugs on SLI/crossfire that take longer to solve that don't happen on single card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 11:11:47 PM

technot27 said:
CPU=== AMD FX 1820(getting that because there is almost no performance difference between the 8120 and 8150 until you overclock)

VIDEO=== DEBATING 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

First, resist the urge to get an AMD processor, especially if you're getting a discrete GPU. Intel's CPUs are much, much better (in both performance and power usage) at every price point right now.

As for the video card, if you have a $350 firm budget, my suggestion is this hd 7870. There aren't any comparable Nvidia cards < $350. The gtx 660ti is supposed to be released soon, so you may want to wait for those reviews. You won't be happy with 2x gtx 550ti.

Also, water-cooling isn't going to pay off. You'll end up spending hundreds of dollars getting a comparably small increase in performance. The only time I see it being viable is if you're buying top-end parts, since you can't invest that money into faster components. Doing it for fun has its own merits, but I personally think you're better off just buying faster parts to begin with and over-clocking on air.
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:38:25 AM

my psu is going to be a SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W fully modular psu.

i wouldn't mid paying for a pci 3.0 but my mobo doesn't support it. no 3.0 slots on mobo, just four 2.0.

i know 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0 so the 3.0 isnt out either.

i would like to go sli but crossfire isni out of the question either. i just thought sli would be easier since my mobo came with a sli bridge.

the liquid cooling is almost purely for looks. it may not be required to keep things cool but i would like to have it just for the sake of "i have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" saying.

im looking up all the things you guys are saying as im typing this. i might go with the gtx660.if i might even get another down the road for whatever the future brings.

any more imput would be useful about my psu. if thats enough power for what i plan on getting.

just one question. if i got 2 gtx 660's would i need a bigger psu?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 1:15:50 AM

Your PSU would be able to handle two 660's,
m
l
!