Sign in with
Your question

New Build Crashing

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2012 3:18:01 AM

I have (within the last month) built my first computer and i went all out for my budget my parts are listed below, but when i try to play some games, mainly minecraft, the computer randomly crashes when i play them. When i said minecraft i mean tekkit. With minecraft being a overly coded game i think, I'm definately not a professional here, that it may be something with my ram. Because when i try to set overclock settings it will never properly boot when i change the ram settings. Also the ram i purchased reads 1866 but my hard drive only reads it as 1333. The exact compatible part number is listed in the motherboard manual, but then again this may or may not be the problem. I'm only a novice to computers so try to keep your explanations simple.
Parts:
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3
Memory:Corsair Vengence DDR3 (2 x 4GB) (Part Number: CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 6950
CPU: Intel i5-2500k (Sandy bridge unlockable)
Fan: Stock
Power: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W
Drives: Optical HP standard DVD/CD writer/reader
Hard Drives: 120GB SSD
1.5TB WD Caviar Green
1TB WD Caviar Black
30GB SSD

I think that is all tell me if i need to include more.

Also on a side note I am using a Rosewill adjustable 5000dpi mouse and when i use the scroll wheel to go up or down for ever few scrools up or down i go it also scrolls a few in the opposite direction.

More about : build crashing

October 6, 2012 3:46:49 AM

start with the bios on the mb it may be so old that it needs to be updated to run with the newer ram. with the ram itself make sure the bios set to stock speed not the asus over clock. the asus overclock changes the ram speed from 1:1 to 1:5 some ram dont like that spread. you want to turn on xmp profile in the bios under dram speed. also check the firmware rev of the ssd make sure it up to date. and the drive is connected to the right sata ports. in windows run cpu-z it show you the ram speed of the ram and it model number the spd tab will show you the ram rated speed. also download hardware monitor and check your temps.
m
l
October 6, 2012 4:00:59 PM

downloading updates for the mb now. But before i go into bios you mentioned xmp profile. would you care to further elaborate on that. I'm still very new to all of this. Also the BIOS update that i downloaded was a .ROM file and i don't know how or what program i need to install it.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2012 2:32:51 AM

Figured out and updates BIOS. For a while everything was going fine until i Played LoL (League of Legends) and then it crashed again. Is there anyway to find a crash report from my computer. Because if there is I think it will be a great help to finding my solution.
m
l
October 10, 2012 3:01:15 AM

look on page 2.24 makesure the ram is in the right ram slots. section 3.2 page 90 shows where to change the dram speed from auto to xmp. before you do this you can run cpu-z and look at what the speed of the ram is running at and it rated speed under the spd tab. i would also download hardware monitor and look at your gpu and cpu temps. it show you if you install the cpu heat sink down right. or not and the system overheating.
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:15:03 PM

Seems to be working fine now. You've been a great help. Four days and no crash. Thank you.
m
l
!