New PC Build - GTX 670 Temperatures...

MJC8917

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hi guys,

I've recently built my first ever gaming pc and I wanted to get some clarification on the temperature of my graphics card.

Here are the specs for my build:

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T Mid-tower
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8gb
CPU: Core i7-3770K S1155 3.5GHz 8MB
Cooling: Corsair H80 liquid cooler
PSU: Corsair TX750

My graphics card is an EVGA GTX 670 FTW. I recently installed steam again on my new machine and installed Empire: Total War to try out the card.

I ran it on the highest settings without any apparent problems. After about 30 - 40 minutes, I exited the game and ran EVGA Precision and saw that after approximately 30 minutes gameplay, the GPU temperature had gone up to 66C. After I exited E:TW, it began to drop again, and it now rests at around 38C when I'm not playing anything.

As for the case I have two case fans - one on the front and one at the top.

This is all very new to me, so I'd like to know - is it normal for this card to rise to those temperatures that quickly? And also, after running for a few hours, will the temperature peak and steady itself, or will it keep rising for as long as I'm playing?

I've re-routed as much of the cabling from the PSU as I can, and I've removed some of the unwanted drive bays, So I think the airflow is generally okay. There are a few thin cables hanging around the cooler though, but I couldn't really do anything with them.

If I'm just worrying about nothing apologies, and thank you in advance for your replies! :)

pennywise

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I think EVGA precision software has some fan management tools. From things I have read here as well as elsewhere, the fans on the 670 FTW kick in a bit late in the temperature curve depending on airflow. Also because of how the card sucks air in and blows it out the back, is there sufficient clearance for air to be properly intaked as well as enough clearance out the back for proper exhaust?

On another note - Shogun 2 is really demanding. There is a lot that is being loaded from units to landscape to effects for each unit, etc. But it sure is fun :)

MJC8917

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks pennywise, I've edited the fan curves to give it a boost and make them speed up earlier if it gets hot. There were a few system updates that I needed too.

After doing those, and turning down the video settings a notch, it seems to be running okay. Good point about the air flow. The case was about an inch away from the wall, so I've moved it forward a bit to give it more room.

Don't know whether it's my lack of experience with PC's, or just general apprehension, but I always feel as though something is destined to fail! :p

I'll update again if there's any changes. Thanks guys