PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W Modular Power Supply
i7 2600 (Non-K)
Dell OEM 1155 Motherboard
16GB 1333 Corsair Ram,
1TB Hitachi (Or formerly Hitachi) Deskstar 7000.C
EVGA 660 Signature 2
LG Blu-ray Drive
Fractal Design R3 Case.

Its a high pitched noise that is definitely noticable. Started about 3 weeks ago, been doing the component ballet for a while. At first I thought it was my 6850 GPU. I was planning on upgrading anyway so I plopped in a GTX 660. No change. Then I thought it was a new samsung f3 spinpoint I had put in. Pulled it out and replaced with the above with zero change. My next course of action is to get a paper roll core and literally hold it up to the components and listen.

One thing that I have noticed is the buzzing will cease whenever I scroll through something, like my steam games list. Just for the moment spent scrolling. Bizzarre.

Here are my suspects:

PSU (Good PSU, about a year old, has the amperage to handle my system.)
Motherboard (DELL motherboard manufactured by who knows, bad capaciter?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you.

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
The only things that make noise inside a computer are fans and the hard drive. So it has to be one of those, I would try unplugging every fan until the noise doesn't happen anymore and if it still does, it is most likely the hard drive disc(s).

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

Thanks for the reply but the hard drive has already been changed out. The odds of two drives producing the same problem aro astronomical.