Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will this build work?

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2012 4:44:57 AM

Hi, so I'm building my own pc and I wanna check if the parts would go with each other

Case: NZXT Phantom 410
Processor: i5-3570K
Processor Cooling: Corsair H100
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 680 2GB
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Smart Response: Intel 520 Series
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750AX
Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Optical Drive: SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Extra Case Fans: 8 of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Could someone please tell me if this can work, if not can you tell me what i need to change, thanks. :D 

More about : build work

October 6, 2012 4:58:14 AM

it will be good, but you dont really need a sound card, and i dont think 8 case fans will even fit into that case, and you dont need fan filters cause the case has them in it already. the case comes with 3 fans, one in the front, one in the back and one on the top, so i would get get 2 for the case itself and 2 for the h100.
m
l

Best solution

October 6, 2012 5:02:36 AM

It would be fine.. Couple things..

For gaming.. You don't need more than 8GB of RAM, take it from me, I spent way more than I needed to for my RAM. I multitask a lot, and I've never used more than 6GB in Windows Task Manager.

As already stated, you don't need a sound card. A board like the one you're looking at supports surround 7.1. What more do you need?

Video card. Go with GTX 670, the 680 is a joke, it costs a ton more than the 670 and barely outperforms it (something insane like 5% more performance for 25% cost increase- thats a really really horrid price to performance ratio)

SSD... My advice is to get a Crucial M4 128GB or 256GB model and run it as a boot drive, not as a cache drive.

Cooling, you can save a lot of money and get decent overclocks with a much cheaper air cooler like a CoolerMaster 212 Evo. H100s are cool and all, but its more or less a toy.

Extra case fans.. Not necessary for a single video card setup of any kind with a high quality case like a Phantom 410.
Related resources
October 6, 2012 5:21:50 AM

nekulturny said:
It would be fine.. Couple things..

For gaming.. You don't need more than 8GB of RAM, take it from me, I spent way more than I needed to for my RAM. I multitask a lot, and I've never used more than 6GB in Windows Task Manager.

As already stated, you don't need a sound card. A board like the one you're looking at supports surround 7.1. What more do you need?

Video card. Go with GTX 670, the 680 is a joke, it costs a ton more than the 670 and barely outperforms it (something insane like 5% more performance for 25% cost increase- thats a really really horrid price to performance ratio)

SSD... My advice is to get a Crucial M4 128GB or 256GB model and run it as a boot drive, not as a cache drive.

Cooling, you can save a lot of money and get decent overclocks with a much cheaper air cooler like a CoolerMaster 212 Evo. H100s are cool and all, but its more or less a toy.

Extra case fans.. Not necessary for a single video card setup of any kind with a high quality case like a Phantom 410.

Thanks for the quick feedback, changed the ram, video card, and fans. Im going to keep the sound card because I'm an audiophile. Could you be more specific about the SSD? Becasue I saw some reviews and it says it makes loading a lot faster.
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:22:28 AM

Best answer selected by revilouil.
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:31:31 AM

revilouil said:
Thanks for the quick feedback, changed the ram, video card, and fans. Im going to keep the sound card because I'm an audiophile. Could you be more specific about the SSD? Becasue I saw some reviews and it says it makes loading a lot faster.

Sure. Well, one more thought on the sound card, if you're an audiophile, thats fine, but unless you have speakers that cost more than say $150, you prolly won't notice the difference.

SSDs do indeed making loading faster, applications will load up faster, games will load faster (assuming they're not online games and server bound), Windows itself will load up very fast.

You have 2 ways to run an SSD with an Intel system.

Intel Smart Response and running the SSD as the primary boot drive.

With Intel SRT, it only supports up to 60GB (so its pointless to buy a higher capacity than that to use the SRT feature), while this does give a gainful advantage to load speeds and such, its not quite as good as running an SSD as your primary boot drive (installing Windows7 onto it and your games and such as if it were a regular hard drive). Although, running an SSD as a boot drive is more expensive, as you want a higher capacity drive, since you lose almost 20GB between Windows 7 installation and NTFS formatting on a 60GB drive, and then you figure a single game can easily take 10GB+ space for just one. You definitely want as big of an SSD as you can afford, I get the impression from your selected components that budget really isn't too huge of a deal, so I'd be looking at a 256GB model if you wanted to go that route.

Also, what kind of monitor(s) do you have? Only reason I bring it up is because sometimes you get people who spend uber amounts of cash on super powerful video cards but they're still running non-HD monitors. GTX 670s, you should be 1080p gaming.
m
l
October 6, 2012 6:31:48 AM

nekulturny said:
Sure. Well, one more thought on the sound card, if you're an audiophile, thats fine, but unless you have speakers that cost more than say $150, you prolly won't notice the difference.

SSDs do indeed making loading faster, applications will load up faster, games will load faster (assuming they're not online games and server bound), Windows itself will load up very fast.

You have 2 ways to run an SSD with an Intel system.

Intel Smart Response and running the SSD as the primary boot drive.

With Intel SRT, it only supports up to 60GB (so its pointless to buy a higher capacity than that to use the SRT feature), while this does give a gainful advantage to load speeds and such, its not quite as good as running an SSD as your primary boot drive (installing Windows7 onto it and your games and such as if it were a regular hard drive). Although, running an SSD as a boot drive is more expensive, as you want a higher capacity drive, since you lose almost 20GB between Windows 7 installation and NTFS formatting on a 60GB drive, and then you figure a single game can easily take 10GB+ space for just one. You definitely want as big of an SSD as you can afford, I get the impression from your selected components that budget really isn't too huge of a deal, so I'd be looking at a 256GB model if you wanted to go that route.

Also, what kind of monitor(s) do you have? Only reason I bring it up is because sometimes you get people who spend uber amounts of cash on super powerful video cards but they're still running non-HD monitors. GTX 670s, you should be 1080p gaming.

k thanks for the extra info, and I'm not sure what the specific model of my monitor is but it is hd.
m
l
!