Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

HD 7850 crashing problem?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 15, 2012 2:07:13 AM

Hello Guys, i recently bought a HD 7850 Sapphire OC edition and i've been having trouble with crashes with grey, or blue/pink colors and vertical lines down the screen, it's not overheating either, at idle it's 37 degrees, and around 70c at it's highest and it only seems to happen when surfing the web or watching a video on youtube and figured it was a Flash issue so uninstalled that, and Java disable hardware accleration and uninstalled AMD drivers completely as in removing registry and software completely and reinstalling. So to no avaid it crashes with a 0x124 hal.dll address so it seems i made it worse with uninstalling drivers. And i don't know the stock values for the 7850 to use on CCC. Any advice would be appreicated ect.

More about : 7850 crashing problem

August 15, 2012 4:53:50 AM

Whats the room temperature? Idling at 37 degrees sounds quite high.. My room is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit and it idles between 26-29. Even during long / stressful gaming sessions of over 4 hours I believe the highest I've ever seen my go is around 55F. Although I have had some problems with crashing as well. Occasionally my screen will turn a greyish blue, with a bunch of vertical pinstriped lines. I'm not sure what causes it, but it only happens while playing Minecraft.

Edit: I forgot to mention I have the same card as you, except mine is the non OC edition, and I have OC'ed it myself to around 1000 on the core clock and 1300 on the memory clock.
August 15, 2012 11:06:48 AM

Room temp is about 24c, which is around 75 F also. But does your computer lock up also? But 60's to 70'sc will not cause crashing on a GPU as far i'm aware, Btw, my OC settings are 940 1250. And my crashes are daily when surfing the web. Never during gaming.
Related resources
August 15, 2012 1:02:14 PM

I believe idle temp of 37 deg C is not high (10-15 C above room temp should be normal).

Sufing the web should not put too much load on the card. Therefore, the crashing must lie somewhere else.

After crash or lockup, do you get any message on screen, in systray, ec. ? Do you have to shut down the computer with the power button on the case because it becomes nonresponsive ?

August 15, 2012 3:21:33 PM

suat said:
I believe idle temp of 37 deg C is not high (10-15 C above room temp should be normal).

Sufing the web should not put too much load on the card. Therefore, the crashing must lie somewhere else.

After crash or lockup, do you get any message on screen, in systray, ec. ? Do you have to shut down the computer with the power button on the case because it becomes nonresponsive ?



Well, i'm 99% sure it's the card since it only happen when i changed the GPU to the 7850 or it's a Flash issue. but i could be completely wrong since there is no error message it only crashes with pinstripes vertically down the screen with a grey/blue screen and becomes unresponsive and have to turn it off via holding down the powerbutton.
August 15, 2012 3:52:04 PM

Can you give your card a good burn-in such as the Furmark test to settle GPU and capacitors ? By the way, what are your idle clocks ?
August 15, 2012 4:31:03 PM

Idle clocks are 300/150. And yes, i'll run a GPU furmark and report back.
August 15, 2012 4:58:11 PM

Not the same card but I had HD5770 for about 2.5 years and I had the freezing and TDR issue on every CCC release out there. I was only able to run my card if I increased idle clocks by about 30%, namely core clock from 157 (default core clock) to 210 MHz and memory clock from 300 (default memory clock) to 400 MHz. I suggest you should do the same and test. By the way, are your idle clocks 300 core/150 memory or just the opposite ? Mine were 157/300.
August 15, 2012 5:08:52 PM

Yeah, 300 Core, 150 memory.
August 15, 2012 5:23:31 PM

suat said:
Not the same card but I had HD5770 for about 2.5 years and I had the freezing and TDR issue on every CCC release out there. I was only able to run my card if I increased idle clocks by about 30%, namely core clock from 157 (default core clock) to 210 MHz and memory clock from 300 (default memory clock) to 400 MHz. I suggest you should do the same and test. By the way, are your idle clocks 300 core/150 memory or just the opposite ? Mine were 157/300.



I ran Furmark, no problems got 3158 score. Max Temp was 70c. No artifacting either in burn out mode or crashing.
August 15, 2012 5:24:14 PM

I replaced my gfx card about two weeks ago with MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC. This card runs perfect at 100 Core/150 Memory with no TDR or freezing issues till now. It is still early to make a judgement that the card is perfect, though. By the way I am no gamer. My previous card had two problems. One was the freezing/TDR issue. The other was that the card was not recognized by the BIOS once in every 10 to 15 cold bootups. I was able to eliminate freezing/TDR issue by raising the core/memory clocks. But I could not eliminate the problem with the BIOS not recognizing the card. Once the problem happened, I had to forcefully shut the computer and re-power it.
August 15, 2012 5:25:44 PM

Increase Your 2d clocks to 500/800 mhz you will be fine !! Use Asus gpu tweak or any other !! good luck..
August 18, 2012 3:33:35 PM

Chioas12 said:
Hello Guys, i recently bought a HD 7850 Sapphire OC edition and i've been having trouble with crashes with grey, or blue/pink colors and vertical lines down the screen, it's not overheating either, at idle it's 37 degrees, and around 70c at it's highest and it only seems to happen when surfing the web or watching a video on youtube and figured it was a Flash issue so uninstalled that, and Java disable hardware accleration and uninstalled AMD drivers completely as in removing registry and software completely and reinstalling. So to no avaid it crashes with a 0x124 hal.dll address so it seems i made it worse with uninstalling drivers. And i don't know the stock values for the 7850 to use on CCC. Any advice would be appreicated ect.



Same problem here! I have a HIS Iceq card. No idea what the problem is, probably a drive issue....
August 23, 2012 1:32:56 AM

Well, the crashes during surfing have stopped but now it crashes during gameplay every half an hour or so it happens at random times. It freezes, or locks up? With a weird sound loop and can't do anything but hold down the power button to shut it down.
September 29, 2012 8:29:05 AM

I have the same issue while gaming with a Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC version (GV-R785OC-2GD). I've not run into the browsing issue though, because i bought this card for BF3. I'm running Catalyst 12.8 and the latest card BIOS. I've already taken it out with the intention of RMAing it. My crossfired 4770 (old school!) are so much more stable, but just don't have the grunt. If I can figure out what's causing this and can fix it, then great, but I to be honest, you should never need to "fix" anything that's new. I expect things to just work. I might try upping the voltage after reading this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/370258-15-sapphire-...
September 29, 2012 11:45:47 AM

I have the HIS IceQ X version of the same card and having same problem. In my case it happens in following situations:

1. After watching videos on internet or on my on hdd.

2. When using softwares like After Effects, Premiere Pro etc.

3. When I am about to install or uninstall something, before Windows 7 asks me for admin rights, it happens.

4. Randomly. While doing any thing.



One thing to note in my case-, before this crashing started to happen my hard disk started to die and kept freezing, after that these crashes started happening, I changed my hdd. Since then, ran pc only once, no freezes so I thought problem solved but after installing some drivers ( catalyst, usb3 and LAN) and rebooting pc, I was about to install something else and before I can see the windows 7 asking for admin rights, PC again crashed.


This is how Crash happens: All of a Sudden, Screen freezes for a split screen and then for another split seccond some random colorful pixel like dots appeear on screen and final screen turns into a solid color, mostly blue white green or gray and sometimes it is overlayed by thick vertical stripes.

One thing now sure that it cant be hdd.
September 29, 2012 11:49:23 AM

And my card is not even overclocked or altered in any way. I have tried 12.6 and 12.7 drivers, both with same results.
!