Need some help understanding XP Pro

Ron

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer them.

I wanted to get rid of the XP message bubbles that pop up from the taskbar
telling me my computer is not protected even though I have Norton System
Works and Zone Alarm. I want to remove the red sheild that appears on my
taskbar after I installed SP2

Also I just did a fresh install of Win XP Pro and during the installation I
chose to delete the partitions and created new one to install XP on. Before
I did this fresh install I tried to get rid of the message bubbles by
editing my regedit, I went to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Advanced

In the right hand pane, right click an empty area and choose New>Dword Value
Name it EnableBalloonTips.
a.. Now double click it and enter 0 as the Value Data (it should already
be 0 by default, but this is to show you where you enter the values)
a.. Click Ok and your registry editing for this tip is done.
b.. Exit the registry and logoff and logon again or reboot to make sure
the changes take effect.
it didn't work to get rid of the bubbles..

BUT a strange thing happened, after my fresh install I went into my regedit
to do the above again but the value was already there???? doesn't a fresh
install wipe out the registry and create a new one?? if so why is that value
still there.

Now does anyone know a way that will work to get rid of the message
bubbles??

For the Security Center alerts, open the Security Center and then Change the way Security Center alerts me.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Ron" <eaglepi@cableone.net> wrote in message news:OoesJ2XvFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer them.
>
> I wanted to get rid of the XP message bubbles that pop up from the taskbar
> telling me my computer is not protected even though I have Norton System
> Works and Zone Alarm. I want to remove the red sheild that appears on my
> taskbar after I installed SP2
>

> Also I just did a fresh install of Win XP Pro and during the installation I
> chose to delete the partitions and created new one to install XP on. Before
> I did this fresh install I tried to get rid of the message bubbles by
> editing my regedit, I went to
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
> Explorer\Advanced
>
> In the right hand pane, right click an empty area and choose New>Dword Value
> Name it EnableBalloonTips.
> a.. Now double click it and enter 0 as the Value Data (it should already
> be 0 by default, but this is to show you where you enter the values)
> a.. Click Ok and your registry editing for this tip is done.
> b.. Exit the registry and logoff and logon again or reboot to make sure
> the changes take effect.
> it didn't work to get rid of the bubbles..
>
> BUT a strange thing happened, after my fresh install I went into my regedit
> to do the above again but the value was already there???? doesn't a fresh
> install wipe out the registry and create a new one?? if so why is that value
> still there.
>

> Now does anyone know a way that will work to get rid of the message
> bubbles??

shinny_on

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Here is the solution: Go to the Services area and look for a service called something like "Security Alerts"... Stop and then Disable this service and the red shield won't show up anymore!!! That's it.

sturm

Splendid
open up security center and on the left hand side, click on 'change the way security alerts me. Unselect all of them and close. You can then also disable the security center service.

Check out programs like tweakxp and such. They will allow you to change many aspects of windows that normally are only done with regedits.