Water got into system, psu acting up then popped

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Ok, this has been a terrible computer day for me. Earlier while I was on my computer I accidentally knocked a bottle of water over which seeped through a slot in my desk and then dripped into my computer case through the fan on top of it. Moments later my monitors went black. I unplugged my computer, opened it up took out my gpus (I run sli) and noticed there was a little water in the top one. I then used canned air to blow out water moisture I could see (there was a little in the pci slot and a couple of drips on the mobo as well. I then let everything sit with a fan blowing while I was at work for 10 hours.

After coming home i figured i would test my cards to see if I got lucky and didn't fry the top one. After putting it back together it wouldn't power on. sometimes it would come to life for half a second and then turn off again. After some trial and error i found out the computer would stay on as long as the 8 pin connector was unplugged. As soon as I plugged it in it would shut down, which made me suspicious of the psu. maybe some water got in it. After trying to turn it on again I heard a small pop come from the psu. No flash, no smoke. Since that happened I have unplugged the computer and decided to leave it alone until I get some advice in here. Should my next step be to buy a new psu so I can test my components? I assume the pop meant I need a new one now. Also can anyone recommend one for around 75 bucks with a lot of connectors that can handle 660ti in sli? Any help is appreciated.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

That's a nice psu but for 660ti sli I need 4 6 pins and that one only has 2 6+2 pins

TRENDING THREADS