Sign in with
Your question

Power supplies for extreme graphics cards

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2013 7:22:56 AM

Hello,
Just bought a new power supply for my ivy bridge build. I built it last year and the power supply pack in. The components are:
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Samsung SSD 830 128G
Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy bridge)
VTX3D Radeon HD 7870 - 2 GB GDDR5

I had a thermal take smart630w. That died after a month. I have just bought an ocz zs series power supply 650w. The box says it has a single 12v rail. Whatever that means. And it says it is also multi-GPS ready. Does that mean it comes with more then one 6-pin PCI-E? My graphics cards is an extreme edition. That means its over clocked right? Does that mean it draws more power from the PSU?
Could using an over clocked graphics card on a low powered ivy bridge motherboard/CPU combo be a problem?
My Madcatz street fighter controllers do not work on my rig. They worked on my old rig. The standard Xbox controller works fine. How much of a problem are these low powered ivy bridge pc's?

Lots of questions I know, I really hope someone can answer? All the problems seem to be related to the same issue. Power!!!
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:56:50 AM

the ocz psu is very good..personally i think you're over anylyzing things a bit as far as power consumption...you have more than enough.

aas for the madcatz...was your old rig win 7? or what? was it usb 2.0? driver issue?
February 19, 2013 3:14:58 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My old pc was vista. I didn't check the drivers. When I get my pc going I'll do that. Thanks

I've swapped out the old power supply on my ivy bridge build. The old power supply definitely does not work. I've checked it with a power tester. The new ocz power supply does work via the power tester. When I connect the new ocz psu to the ivy build nothing happens. I'm getting exactly the same error I had before.

When I turn the power on absolutely nothing happens no lights, no fan, nothing. As I said the power supply definitely works.

I'm wandering what my next step should be. And what the problem could possibly be given that the power supply works?
!