Should my Rig have lag in games?

unlongo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I understand that i will not be able to max all games and run them smoothly, but why does Skyrim "lag" for me? It only does it at random points. I am running at ultra in 1920x1080. The reason i put emphasis on lag is because it is more of a choppy framrate. I have tried lowering the settings but to no avail.
Specs:

i5-2500k @4.2 GHz
Hyper 212+ Evo
8Gb Gskill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
MSI Twin Frozr III HD 7950 @ 1000/ 1436
Biostar TZ77B
WD 500Gb 7200rpm
Seagate Momentus XT SSD/ HDD Hybrid
HEC Zephyr MX 750 watt 80+ Bronze PSU

theLiminator

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Is it only in that game? Are you running high resolution texture packs + graphical enhancement mods? Is your system stable when stress tested? Try using driver cleaner and reinstalling all drivers. Check if your equipment is overheating and throttling while gaming. If it's none of these, try setting your cpu to stock settings and trying again.

unlongo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
i am only running the included high resolution texture pack. My system has been stable for a week of stress testing through games and prime 95. I am getting a new case with better airflow tomorrow. And i dont understand why it would still be so choppy :/

DeusAres

Distinguished
Actually, which HDD do you have Skyrim installed on? Also, this may be a silly question, but do you have the latest update/patch for Skyrim installed?

If you have Skyrim installed on your Western Digital drive, I recommend running a disk defrag utility. If that doesn't have any effect, do a full reinstallation of Skyrim and it's latest patch/update.

I would typically suggest that you defrag all your drives, HOWEVER I DO NOT know how that will respond as I have heard defragging a SSD can potentially harm it. Not sure if that applies to hybrid drives as well.

unlongo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
i have it installed on the Seagate momentus XT, i defragged it and will test performance soon.It has been said safe to defrag the momentus by Seagate. I do however have the latest patch

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

You won't harm an ssd by defragmenting it, but it is pointless.

To put it simple:
The reason why it's bad for a normal hdd to be fragmented is that if a file is fragmented on the disk, then the hdd head has to physically move around alot to read the data, causing delays.

However, an ssd doesn't have a head and has very low access time, therefore the performance is not really affected by fragmentation.

xxaamxx135

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Try enabling V-Sync. Then if that doesn't work do a boot defrag then a normal defrag. Try CCleaner to just in case. Cleaning your computer is very important and can optimize performance.