Sign in with
Your question

FanController

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2013 7:46:44 AM

i ordered a CM storm trooper..
and a guy said to me if i put other fans on the fan controller built in to the case they might blink, can anyone confirm this?

also for testing this without putting all the hardware inn, can i short the green and a black on the 24pin and test the fan controller with other fans on? i wont harm the PCB up there or anything?

More about : fancontroller

February 19, 2013 12:54:53 PM

You can jump your PSU and check the fan system without concern of damage (assuming a quality PSU here). If you add fans with led's on a three pin connector the led's may not work well (might be dim or not work - I'd not heard of blinking) below max setting. The reason for that is the controller changes the voltage to the fans to control their speed, the fans don't mind but led's do. If the case controller can use four pin PWM connections and changes fan speed through a PWM controller, you shouldn't have that issue (I don't think it's likely though). BTW, it shouldn't harm the led's either
Hope it helps
February 19, 2013 5:38:30 PM

thx! planing on having 6 fans on it
Related resources
February 19, 2013 5:48:35 PM

it only supports 4 fans on the controller

i added a fan controller on mine to support extra fans

the one i chose goes perfectly as its got a rubberised fascia that matches the case

and leds that can be turned red to match the case fan leds

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-sentry-mix-led-illu...
February 19, 2013 5:55:28 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
it only supports 4 fans on the controller

i added a fan controller on mine to support extra fans

the one i chose goes perfectly as its got a rubberised fascia that matches the case

and leds that can be turned red to match the case fan leds

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-sentry-mix-led-illu...

No issues with the fan led's blinking or going dim or...?
February 19, 2013 6:04:37 PM

C12Friedman said:
No issues with the fan led's blinking or going dim or...?

i actually replaced the coolermaster fans that came with the case with better fans

silverstone air penetrators--much better leds in them and move more air

and replaced the top fan with a red led coolermaster megaflow

the only fan i left connected to the built in controller is the top 200mm megaflow the others are connected to the fan controller i

linked

but no havent had any blinking or anything
February 19, 2013 6:10:24 PM

heres a couple of photos that show the difference in the fan leds between the coolermaster ones and silverstone ones

silverstones on left original coolermaster one on right

not great photo from my phone but the difference should still be clear

February 20, 2013 5:27:27 AM

its 3 wires, one of them is a Y .. makes it 4.. but if i Y up the 2 first wires.. then i can fit 6 fans there...
the cooler master sickle flow is 99% in looks to the 2 stock leds fans that the trooper comes with
!