Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HIS Raedon 7870...match up my power supply please

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 6, 2012 12:27:55 PM

I just bought a HIS Raedon 7870 vid card and i need to know what i should buy for a new power supply. I was actually going to buy from a store today...best buy or something along those lines. I want to get this card running today. LOL

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS 8500
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/25/12 17:09:41 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8088MB RAM
Page File: 3252MB used, 12920MB available
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 12:42:56 PM

any quality (corsair, seasonic, antec, xfx) 550 watt PSU is fine that has two 6 pin PCI power connections.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 12:52:56 PM

Was considering the Corsair - Gaming Series 800-Watt ATX Power Supply.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 1:01:03 PM

justcallmejoe said:
Was considering the Corsair - Gaming Series 800-Watt ATX Power Supply.
that will work as well ;) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 1:03:30 PM

justcallmejoe said:
Was considering the Corsair - Gaming Series 800-Watt ATX Power Supply.

NO!
(sorry bigcyco1)

getting too large of a PSU is as bad as too small since efficiency takes a huge nosediver when less than a 20% load.

you have no reason to go above 550 watts.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 1:03:48 PM

Actually, any quality 400w PSU (80+Bronze or better) should do fine. I'd go with a 500w if you can afford it.

You should look in the $50-70 range.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 1:10:51 PM

I have 480 now. I thought i would have to have a much bigger power supply for gaming needs. I just read a review on the Radon 7870 card in which the reviewer claims there should be 1200 watts to power this this card.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 1:11:37 PM

Thanks for the help so far everyone!
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 1:23:03 PM

A different review:

Measured power consumption HIS R7870 ICEQ TURBO

System in IDLE = 155W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 285W
Difference (GPU load) = 130W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 140 Watts
Radeon HD 7870 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum and 700 Watt if you go with two cards in Crossfire mode.


I think i'll go with something in the 600 watt range.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 1:27:38 PM

justcallmejoe said:
I have 480 now. I thought i would have to have a much bigger power supply for gaming needs. I just read a review on the Radon 7870 card in which the reviewer claims there should be 1200 watts to power this this card.

the reviewer is an idiot. :lol: 

that card uses 148 watts and your system, allowing for overclocking and a few fans and possibly a strobe light, will max out ~150 watts.

298 watts. to keep it under 80% load for better efficiency 298/.8= 372.5 watts. though that is not the whole story because you need to know how many amps you need on the 12volt rail.

cpu, chipset, HD, ram will use 110 watts and 148 for the card= 258 watts of 12 volts.
258/12amps= 21.5 amps for 80% of max load 21.5/.8= 27.875 or 28 amps on the 12 volt rail.

so rounding up a 375 watt PSU with 28 amps on the 12 volt rail. but its highly unlikely to find a PSU with those exact specs . . . but it gives you an idea of what is really needed.
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 1:31:33 PM

Anonymous said:
NO!
(sorry bigcyco1)

getting too large of a PSU is as bad as too small since efficiency takes a huge nosediver when less than a 20% load.

you have no reason to go above 550 watts.
It would work fine but i agree he doesn't need that much i was thinking in case he decides to add another in the future he be set ;) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 1:34:15 PM

justcallmejoe said:
A different review:

Measured power consumption HIS R7870 ICEQ TURBO

System in IDLE = 155W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 285W
Difference (GPU load) = 130W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 140 Watts
Radeon HD 7870 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum and 700 Watt if you go with two cards in Crossfire mode.


I think i'll go with something in the 600 watt range.

why?

there is no need to get a PSU for a system that will not even hit 50% load on the it. a PSU should fit like a glove to a hand for best efficiency otherwise you are wasting your money.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 1:35:41 PM

bigcyco1 said:
It would work fine but i agree he doesn't need that much i was thinking in case he decides to add another in the future he be set ;) 

:love:  ya man! :love: 


:lol: 
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 2:04:29 PM

Anonymous said:
Our Price: $89.60 :o 

$%*#@%$ best buy . . . :p 
lol he said he was going to buy from there :( 
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 2:11:29 PM

Taking your advise and going to stick with the onboard power unit and see how it performs. 460 watts. If i see problems ill upgrade 100 watts or so.I obviously have no idea what im doing here so i do appreciate the help.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 2:11:42 PM

bigcyco1 said:
lol he said he was going to buy from there :( 

now i don't feel so bad paying 15% more going to the local brick and mortar then getting from new egg myself . .
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 2:20:40 PM

justcallmejoe said:
Taking your advise and going to stick with the onboard power unit and see how it performs. 460 watts. If i see problems ill upgrade 100 watts or so.I obviously have no idea what im doing here so i do appreciate the help.

unfortunately you may have a problem with keeping the PSU supplied by dell. chances are it will lack enough horsepower on the 12 volt rail for the graphics card. the PSUs they put into builds are pretty much configured for that build.

and not only the amount of power on the 12 volt rail but there most likely will not be the two 6 pin pci power connections for the card.

if you can take the side of the computer off and look at the label? you ought to be able to see how many amps are supplied to each rail
similar to this:


there may or may not be a v1 and v2 for the 12 volt rail . .but that is the important info.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 2:49:27 PM

It does have 2 - 6 pin PCI plugs. Not sure about the voltage


m
0
l
October 6, 2012 3:06:57 PM


Double 12v 18A-16A probably will not cut it

A single rail *bronze*with 500-600w will work dandy -- at half the price of what you would pay at BB (if you buy online)

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W

If my math is right ... it's $38 after a $20 rebate.

m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 3:16:56 PM

justcallmejoe said:
It does have 2 - 6 pin PCI plugs. Not sure about the voltage


http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/justcallmejoe/IMG_0127.jpg

ok. those two 6 pins are on 12VB (the watts on each are 75 for 150 total) 12VB is rated for 192.

your fine; not great but just enough.
m
0
l
!