Raid 0 booting problem

G

It was all going so well too...

Abit KG7-Raid and 2 IBM 75GXP 45Gb drives.

I followed the instructions on the motherboard manual and set all 3 boot devices to ATA100Raid. I then set up the raid and set it as Boot disk. I ran FDisk from the Win98SE CD (and also another FDisk off the net later), rebooted and was confronted with "No operating system" at which point the system halts.

I know it doesn't have an OS, I have 4 different in my hands here! If I change the boot order to give me another boot device, eg CD, I can get into FDisk which reports the disk size as 22Gb.

Why 22Gb? And how do I get an A prompt so I can format the raid?

Aaaaaaaaarrrrggghhh!

G

Update...

In total frustration I decided to Mirror and Raid 1 instead. Anyway, to cut a (very) long story short, it transpires that one of my disks is a dud (although I'm sure I've used it before) and I can't even fdisk it.

I've got 4 60gxps waiting for the next raid and I'm now questioning ibm reliability too. We'll see...

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I had 2 40GB drives. fdisk reported my total space as 10GB. I had to use Partition Magic to partition the disk correctly. Strange, though...I've never had a Problem with IBM...Though I do like Seagate more..

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.