OEM Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I bought a copy of windows 7 from Comp usa, Now I need to reinstall that copy on my mothers computer i built for her because she got a virus that will not even let the computer boot up. I decided the easiest way to resolve the problem would be to just reinstall her OS, But microsoft is giving me trouble with the product key. They want me to call Compusa for the product key which is bizarre cause i didnt buy the computer from them, I just bought the copy of the OEM software from them. Do i have to call compusa for them to generate a new product key or was the microsoft rep just pulling my leg. She also told me that i would have to be charged 59.99 an hour if i called back for more support, which just leads me to believe she didn't know what i was talking about.

If you guys could chime in with some insight on this, i would greatly appreciate it. Or perhaps give me another number to call other than their customer service, that would be great.

Solution
Are you re-installing on the same computer that Windows copy was installed on? If you did not change any hardware you should have no issues at all re-installing it on the same computer.

You're having issues with support because OEM software is not supported by MS but by the vendor it came from. So you need to work with CompUSA to figure out what is going on with the key.

What exactly is the issue with the product key you have? You can just try to call MS again and see if another tech can help you. But she is right about charging for support, that's one of the keys of OEM license, cheap, but no support from Microsoft.
Are you re-installing on the same computer that Windows copy was installed on? If you did not change any hardware you should have no issues at all re-installing it on the same computer.

You're having issues with support because OEM software is not supported by MS but by the vendor it came from. So you need to work with CompUSA to figure out what is going on with the key.

What exactly is the issue with the product key you have? You can just try to call MS again and see if another tech can help you. But she is right about charging for support, that's one of the keys of OEM license, cheap, but no support from Microsoft.

Solution

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
And that is the issue with those companies selling OEM licences. Technically an OEM licence can NOT be sold separatly from a computer.

MS wont support you. As mentionned you need to work it out with CompUSA... Good luck with that because technically them selling you an OEM licence is illegal.

Before everyone comments, yes alot of companies do it, yes a lot of people buy OEM licences seperatly but it is not a legal copy. An OEM licence is binded to a computer built by a specific vendor

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Time for this weeks I.D.10.T. breakdown.

Translation: I torrented a pirate copy, after finding out how much CompUSA was charging for their so called "OEM" versions.

Translation: You know that computer I threw together from old parts I had left over from my last upgrade? Well it appears that I didn't wipe the hard drive, and now that pesky virus I got from whitepussychunkyasses.com has now finally nuked my dodgy OS install.

Translation: I have no idea how to fix this, might as well wipe and start again.

Translation: Awwww, CRAP. They detected my pirate key!

Translation: They want me to verify that I actually bought the software, from the vender I bull$#!tted that I bought it from.

Translation: which I can't do as I built the computer from excess parts and torrented the O/S.

Translation: Like I said, I torrented the software, see above.

Translation: Is there any way I can fool CompUSA into giving me a new key?

Translation: or was the microsoft rep onto my ploy?

No dumbass, she is quoting a high price per hour, so you DON'T call back!

Translation: DAMN! I can't afford $59.99 an hour.

Translation: You guys know of any other good torrents I could try?

Translation: Forgotten the second I get a valid key.

Translation: Do you know of another department I could try to run my O/S key con on?

Translation: Whatever.

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Yeah, i'm reinstalling it on the same computer, So if i wipe the drive i should be able to reinstall with no trouble? I was told when i bought the copy i would need to call microsoft to have them free up the key if i ever needed to reinstall. So i guess there's no harm in wiping the drive now and just attempting to reinstall

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Cute reply,

I bet you think you're clever, Unfortunately you're wrong. I bought my copy legit for 99 dollars. I hope the moderators see your post and take the appropriate action against you.

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Yeah, i didn't try it cause I wasn't sure i could get the installation back on the HD because the rep who sold me the OEM copy said that if i ever needed to reinstall i would have to call microsoft first to get a new key for installation.

Thanks for clearing that up for me though, I'll go ahead with the format/install.

Status
Not open for further replies.