Sign in with
Your question

Hp won't boot with video card

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2012 4:17:33 PM

I have a HP Pavilion Media Center m8430f Desktop PC.
One day on startup my acer flat screen wont show bios or anything.

If I remove the 8500 gt and use integrated graphics, it works fine with my old crt monitor and I’m actually using it to write this.

If I insert the 8500 gt, however, my lcd monitor gets no signal and I hear no OS sounds indicating that windows is loading up or anything even though the video card works in another computer and I've replaced the motherboard.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give me some ideas on what to try next.

IPIBL-LB (Benicia) motherboard
Intell core 2 quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
nvidia ge force 8500 gt
Integrated graphics intell gma 3100
tv tuner card
Modem card
4 Gig DDR2 ram

Full specs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

Steps I've taken
Video card and monitor tested and work in another PC
Reset bios with jumper
Removed ram tried one at time .
Removed all cards and tied that.
Replaced power supply
Tried all above again.
Updated bios
Replaced motherboard and put it all back together

Let me know if you guys would like me to post my Cpu-z or something

More about : boot video card

October 6, 2012 5:14:01 PM

Is it possible that the 300W PSU can't handle it? Was the repalcement one a higher wattage? Have you tested the Acer monitor on another computer?
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:32:56 PM

cmichael138 said:
Is it possible that the 300W PSU can't handle it? Was the repalcement one a higher wattage? Have you tested the Acer monitor on another computer?

I just went ahead and replaced it with a 500w Corsair power supply because originally I thought the stock one went bad and I figured I could use the corsair if I decide to build my own PC later.

My computer worked fine for several years on the 300w power supply, and it ran that same video card the whole time

I tested the video card in my son's computer and it worked fine through my Acer monitor and his monitor as well.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2012 6:24:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification.
By replaced, did you mean a new MB?
Does your son's computer have a graphics card to test the PCI-e slot on your MB?
m
l
October 6, 2012 6:34:23 PM

Yes I put in a brand new MB. The same as it had. Sad to say his video card is to long to fit in the case. We just found another cable to hook the Acer to the on board video but it sure would be great to get the pci card working.

Thanks
m
l
October 6, 2012 11:21:46 PM

Too strange! 2 motherboards with faulty PCI-e slots is highly unlikely.

Have you manually disabled the onboard in the BIOS?
m
l
October 7, 2012 4:26:52 PM

cmichael138 said:
Too strange! 2 motherboards with faulty PCI-e slots is highly unlikely.

Have you manually disabled the onboard in the BIOS?

The specs say when the pcie card is plugged in the on board doesn't work.It even had a cover on the plug. The bios only has one video setting. It defaults to pci. The options are integrated / pci /pci express16 /pci 1. I not knowing what i'm doing have tried them all.
I don't even here the dive spin up and start windows with the video card in. I left it on pci express 16 in the bios.

When the video card is out the on board video works fine. I did squeeze my sons card in at your suggestion it didn't work.
m
l
October 7, 2012 6:35:17 PM

Sorry... I'm not familiar with that MB but most do default to the card when installed.
Have you done any software updates? You can go to the GEFORCE site and let it auto detect the right driver for you.

Grasping for possible solutions.
m
l
!