Sign in with
Your question

Displayport or DVI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2012 10:42:47 AM

Hey guys,

I have a Samsung S27A950 3D screen. I'm going to upgrade my graphics card soon so then I'll be able to game in 3D. I was just wondering what would be better, Display port or DVI?

I'm currently usinbg DVI but the monitor does have inputs for Display port so if that is the better option I'll go for that. I'm planning to go for this card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PJVB3Y/ref=s9_simh...
As you can see it only has mini-Display port outputs so I'd probably need a converter of some sort. What would be your recommendation there?

Thanks in advance!

More about : displayport dvi

a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 10:47:10 AM

Displayport can produce better picture quality.

The interface is primarily used to connect a video source to a display device such as a computer monitor, though it can also be used to transmit audio, USB, and other forms of data.

The VESA specification is royalty-free. VESA designed it to replace VGA, DVI, and LVDS by creating a high performance standard. Backward compatibility to VGA and DVI by using adapter dongles enables consumers to use DisplayPort fitted video sources without replacing existing display devices. Although DisplayPort supports much of the same functionality as HDMI, it is expected to complement the interface, not replace it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Advantages_ove...
m
l
August 15, 2012 10:59:51 AM

Okay, but at 1920x1080 is the DVI fast enough to provide 120 Hz signals? If not, would switching to Display port solve that problem?
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 11:05:54 AM

@nikorr any source for better quality of display port? I'm pretty sure DVI and HDMI transfers the data in lossless format (24 bits for each pixel), so there isn't any more quality to gain.

@OP: DVI is easily fast enough for that.
m
l
August 15, 2012 11:13:55 AM

Thanx! Sorry I was a bit unclear about what my question really was :) .

@Sunius: I think he's referring to the fact that it can support higher resolutions at higher frame rates. Or at least that's what I gather from the Wikipedia article...
"Supports high resolution displays and multiple displays with a single cable
17.28 Gbit/s of effective video bandwidth, enough for supporting 4 simultaneous 1080p60 displays (CEA-861 timings) or 2,560 × 1,600 × 30 bit @120 Hz (CVT-R timings)"
m
l
!